Entry-Level Cognitive Software Developer
START DATES FOR THIS POSITION ARE MARCH 2018 AND LATER.
At IBM we have an amazing opportunity to transform the world with cognitive technology. By using the vast amounts of information available today to identify new patterns and make new discoveries, we are helping cities become smarter, hospitals transform patient care, financial institutions minimize risk, and pharmaceuticals find cures for rare diseases. Join the forward-thinking teams at IBM solving some of the world's most complex problems – there is no better place to grow your career!
Entry-Level Cognitive Software Development involves creating learning systems that enable humans and machines to perform better than either humans or machines alone. These systems are designed to create new partnerships between people and machines to augment and scale human expertise in every industry, from healthcare to financial services to education.
Entry-Level Cognitive Software Developers are in demand across IBM's growth areas. You'll be matched and deployed to a development team in a strategic business, based on your offered location and fit. These are office-based positions in IBM locations including:
ON – Ottawa
ON – Toronto
ON – Markham
NB – Fredericton
Opportunities in these locations will vary based on business demand.
What You'll Do:
- You will create and maintain machine learning models with a focus on big data.
- You'll work in an Agile, collaborative environment to understand and develop solutions for requirements. This includes designing, coding and testing innovative applications in areas such as machine learning, computational linguistics, Natural Language Processing (NLP), advanced and semantic information search, extraction, induction, classification and exploration.
- You'll assist with implementing, testing and improving algorithms in these areas, and will proactively identify and file patentable technology.
- You'll employ IBM Design Thinking to create products that provide a great user experience along with high performance, security, quality, and stability.
Who You Are:
- You are great at solving problems, debugging, troubleshooting, designing and implementing solutions to complex technical issues.
- You thrive on collaboration, working side by side with developers and scientists of all backgrounds and disciplines, and you have very strong verbal and written communication skills.
- You have some awareness of knowledge representation and reasoning.
- You have a basic understanding of software development and programming in a language such as Java or Python.
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria) on a work permit, you are not eligible for employment in this position.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise:
- Must have basic knowledge in one of the following technology areas: Java or Python.
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience:
- Willing to travel up to 10%
- Bachelors or Masters Degree
Must be eligible/legally entitled to work in Canada.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.