Developer Advocate (Markham, ON or Montréal, QC)
Change the world at IBM. There aren’t many companies who can say they have been an integral part of the global business landscape for more than a century. While the world has changed considerably over the past 100 years, IBM, our people and our offerings have continuously led the way with business and technology innovation.
Today, we are more than a hardware, software and services provider, yet we remain true to our heritage as a team of collaborative forward-thinkers, focused on making business and society work better. We are part of the fabric of everyday life and stand for world-changing progress.
Join a company where you can make an impact and literally change the world. With so many different opportunities available – the sky is the limit!
*This position resides in Markham, ON and Montreal, QC and is a 16 (internship) month work term commencing May 2018. It ismandatory that all applicants are enrolled in full-time studies at a post-secondary institution and returning to full-time studies upon completion of the work term.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging, innovative and rewarding
- A business casual dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to the Future Blue Community - IBM’s large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs including a (1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) official or unofficial transcripts.
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
We are seeking 2 individuals with proven technical skills, each for a 16 month internship in an exciting, high paced environment. Your role will be heavily dependent on ability to code, develop and demonstrate solutions to both internal and external individuals. A large focus will be placed on working with IBM’s Bluemix platform as a service and the services, languages and tools within Bluemix. As well IBM’s Softlayer infrastructure as a service, blockchain, hyperledger and Watson will play significant role in the work you execute. Demonstrated skills in programming languages and tools is essential. You will be working with developers and startups helping evangelize and advocate about the IBM technologies, features and benefits. Understanding the competitive landscape will be useful.
You will be expected to conduct briefings and demo’s, proofs of concept and technology. You will spend time in the community attending meetups, briefings, engaging with startups and developers and following through with technical discussions. Willing to run meetings and speak at briefings and events. Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
You will work with IBM technology, participate in events, interact with management and external customers and developers.
Some travel may be required.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
- Working knowledge of IBM Bluemix (PaaS, IaaS), hybrid cloud
- Experience with SQL and NoSQL databases such as, DB2, MySQL, CouchDB, Cloudant, MongoDB
- Hands-on experience using REST API and web services, like Twitter, weather, geospatial
- Experience with building web applications
- Familiar with software design patterns & principles
- Experience with Windows and/or Mac operating systems
- Demonstrates verbal and written communications skills
- Great interpersonal skills, communication and positive outlook. Able to proactively reach out to others.
- Proven time management skills
- Bilingual French/English is a must
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- Knowledge of IBM products
- Knowledge of the software development cycle
- Experience with various programming languages
- Understanding of software engineering
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.