Design researcher - Coop (Markham, ON)
At IBM, work is more than a job - it's a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you've never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world's most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities
This position resides in Markham, Ontario and is a 16-month work term commencing May 2021. It is mandatory that all applicants are enrolled in full-time studies at a post-secondary institution and returning to full-time studies upon completion of the work term.
Developer/Operations (DevOps) for IBM z Systems is looking for a User Researcher intern with a keen interest in uncovering user needs and solving real user problems. The candidate's research insights will be integrated into products used across the world by hundreds of thousands to build, deploy, and manage apps for use by millions. The desired candidate must have a passion to work a team of designers and to become a user advocate in influencing our products to meet their needs.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Co-op or internship program enrolment is mandatory
- Enrolled in an education program in design research, human computer Interaction, human factors, experimental psychology, cognitive science, anthropology or related discipline
- A keen interest in enterprise software development
- Ability to assist with creating presentations and to clearly communicate benefits and insights of user research in a way that generates empathy amongst cross functional teams of designers, engineers and product managers
- Ability to collaborate with a designer researcher and explore existing research methods to the project's needs and to define new research methods according to the organization's needs
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Knowledgeable or willingness to learn about the enterprise product development cycle
- Ability to work in an Agile development environment
- Ability to participate and Design Thinking activities
- Knowledgeable in user experience and visual design disciplines' role and responsibilities
- Working in a team environment
About Business Unit
IBM Systems helps IT leaders think differently about their infrastructure. IBM servers and storage are no longer inanimate - they can understand, reason, and learn so our clients can innovate while avoiding IT issues. Our systems power the world’s most important industries and our clients are the architects of the future. Join us to help build our leading-edge technology portfolio designed for cognitive business and optimized for cloud computing.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by Export Regulations sanctions. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following US sanctioned countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria) on a work permit, you are not eligible for employment in this position.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.