Data Science - Coop (Calgary, AB)
Software Developers at IBM are the backbone of our strategic initiatives to design, code, test, and provide industry-leading solutions that literally make the world run today - planes and trains take off on time, bank transactions complete in the blink of an eye and the world remains safe because of the work our software developers do. Whether you are working on projects internally or for a client, software development is critical to the success of IBM and our clients worldwide. At IBM, you will use latest software development tools, techniques and approaches and work leading minds in the industry to build solutions you can be proud of.
Your Role and Responsibilities
Change the world at IBM. There aren’t many companies who can say they have been an integral part of the global business landscape for more than a century. While the world has changed considerably over the past 100 years, IBM, our people and our offerings have continuously led the way with business and technology innovation.
Today, we are more than a hardware, software and services provider, yet we remain true to our heritage as a team of collaborative forward-thinkers, focused on making business and society work better. We are part of the fabric of everyday life and stand for world-changing progress.
Join a company where you can make an impact and literally change the world. With so many different opportunities available – the sky is the limit!
*This position resides in Calgary, AB and is a 4-month work term commencingSeptember 2019. It is mandatory that all applicants are enrolled in full-timestudies at a post-secondary institution and returning to full-time studies upon completion of the work term.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging, innovative and rewarding
- A business casual dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to the Future Blue Community - IBM’s large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online atwww.ibm.com/jobs
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
This position is for the IBM Cognitive & Advanced Analytics Data Science team in Calgary. Our team is looking for candidates with exceptional technical aptitude, a passion for applied data science, and an interest in telling stories through data to solve real world business problems.
The successful candidate will join a fast-paced consulting team, composed of Partners, Product Managers, Data Scientists, Architects and Software Engineers to conceptualize, develop and deploy cognitive solutions to solve enterprise scale problems. As a team, we pride ourselves on tackling some of the most difficult challenges our clients face by bringing together subject matter expertise, data science, and technical execution.
As a Data Science Intern, you’ll have the opportunity to learn and use industry leading data-science technologies on active client engagements. Depending on the project’s technical requirements, you will have the opportunity to use proprietary IBM technologies such as IBM Analytics Engine, while embracing open source technologies such as Spark, Tensorflow, and Baselines (OpenAI).
Required Professional and Technical Expertise
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory.
- Currently pursuing a quantitative degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Econometrics, Engineering or a related field.
- Demonstrated familiarity or interest in machine learning, statistical analysis, or data mining through previous internships, personal/ academic projects, hackathons, and/or publications.
- Experience with one or more scripting languages (Python preferred), or a proven computer science foundation.
- Ability to confidently communicate ideas to an audience of peers and managers.
- Comfortable and effective working independently and as a member of a cross-functional team
Preferred Professional and Technical Expertise
- Minimum one work term in a data science or machine learning related role.
- A year of experience using machine-learning/data science libraries in python (scikit-learn, scipy, pandas, tensorflow).
- General familiarity with databases and data-engineering tools (SQL, Spark, S3).
About Business Unit
IBM Services is a team of business, strategy and technology consultants that design, build, and run foundational systems and services that is the backbone of the world's economy. IBM Services partners with the world's leading companies in over 170 countries to build smarter business by reimagining and reinventing through technology, with its outcome-focused methodologies, industry-leading portfolio and world class research and operations expertise leading to results-driven innovation and enduring excellence.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world. What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion. Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Preferred Education:Pre-University Qualification