Cognitive Software Devel.-Advanced Analytic -Coop (Calgary or Toronto)
Change the world at IBM.
There aren't many companies who can say they have been an integral part of the global business landscape for more than a century. While the world has changed considerably over the past 100 years, IBM, our people and our offerings have continuously led the way with business and technology innovation.
Today, we are more than a hardware, software and services provider, yet we remain true to our heritage as a team of collaborative forward-thinkers, focused on making business and society work better. We are part of the fabric of everyday life and stand for world-changing progress.
Join a company where you can make an impact and literally change the world. With so many different opportunities available – the sky is the limit!
*This position resides in Calgary, Alberta or Toronto, Ontario and is a 4 (coop) month work term commencing January 2019. It is mandatory that all applicants are enrolled in full-time studies at a post-secondary institution and returning to full-time studies upon completion of the work term.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging, innovative and rewarding
- A business casual dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to the Future Blue Community - IBM's large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs.
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
The successful candidate will join a small, fast paced consulting team, composed of Partners, Product Managers, Architects and other Software Engineers to conceptualize, develop and deploy cognitive applications for Canadian clients. This position is for the IBM Cognitive & Advanced Analytics Solutions team in Calgary or Toronto (Toronto is limited to 1 position).
Our team is looking for a candidate who excels at working with project teams collaboratively while also taking ownership of the components they are assigned to deliver our best of breed solutions to clients. Whether as a Software Engineer or Data Scientist, the candidate will enjoy the diverse challenges, clients, work environments and schedules that come with delivering innovative projects, on time and on budget.
The successful candidate should be able to thrive in a team atmosphere while making individual contributions, take initiative to actively seek new knowledge and improve skills. You should possess drive to overcome the most challenging obstacles and look for ways to improve results.
Examples of our coop students' work:
- Develop code individually or work with other developers to deliver applications created and hosted on the cloud and have the opportunity to make a significant impact on clients by creating relevant, "real world" business applications that matter to them.
- Collaborate closely with the team members across roles (consultants, architects, developers and data scientists) to expand his/her role to creating business use cases, contributing to architecture of overall solutions, and even assisting with client proposals.
- Create relevant, "real world" business applications that matter to our clients. Contribute to model development, training and application implementation (e.g., Machine Learning, Deep Learning, etc.) including working with Watson APIs.
- Skills for this position require applicants who are equally adept at people and business management in addition to a strong technical background.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
- Demonstrable experience with (Java/nodejs, git/svn, bluemix/AWS, mysql/mongodb, etc.) (Project Manager co-ops excluded)
- Ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently and meet deadlines while maintaining focus despite conflicting demands.
- Effective interpersonal skills with ability to collaborate and work effectively with individuals, strengthening relationships to achieve win-win solutions.
- Ability to communicate complex situations clearly and simply by listening actively and conveying difficult messages in a positive manner.
- Ability to write effectively, communicating complex messages or requirements clearly, simply, and concisely.
- A passion for innovative ideas, coupled with the ability to understand and assimilate different points of view
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- Minimum of 2 work-terms in a software development role
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.