Cloud Platform IT Systems Administrator - Internship (Markham, ON)
Change the world at IBM. There aren't many companies who can say they have been an integral part of the global business landscape for more than a century. While the world has changed considerably over the past 100 years, IBM, our people and our offerings have continuously led the way with business and technology innovation.
Today, we are more than a hardware, software and services provider, yet we remain true to our heritage as a team of collaborative forward-thinkers, focused on making business and society work better. We are part of the fabric of everyday life and stand for world-changing progress.
Join a company where you can make an impact and literally change the world. With so many different opportunities available - the sky is the limit!
*This position resides in Markham, Ontario and is a 16 -month work term commencing May 2019 . It is mandatory that all applicants are enrolled in full-time studies at a post-secondary institution and returning to full-time studies upon completion of the work term.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging, innovative and rewarding
- A business casual dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to the Future Blue Community - IBM's large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Are you looking for an exciting and challenging opportunity where you will apply your skills, learn new skills and grow your career? If so, then read on. A position is available on the Development Cloud Platforms Team based out of the IBM Canada Markham Software Development Lab. We are looking for candidates willing to apply themselves and participate in providing high quality technical support to a wide range of internal IBM software development customers. The successful candidate should be a self-starter with the ability to learn new technologies and think creatively. The candidate would become a part of our national team that provide solutions to a wide variety of problems facing our development organizations. They will also have the ability to work with leading technologies in Cloud Virtualization, DevOps Tooling, state of the art hardware, and with a variety of custom solutions.
In this role, you will:
- Perform operating system installs/upgrades
- Troubleshoot Windows/Linux machines to solve our customers' technical challenges
- Assist in the development/maintenance of our virtual/Cloud environments across the Canada Labs
- Help maintain our IT security compliance within the team's environment
- Write, maintain and enhance our department's automation and processes to help the team become more efficient
- Set up state of the art servers in our datacentre
- Work on special project assignments
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by Export Regulations sanctions. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following US sanctioned countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria) on a work permit, you are not eligible for employment in this position.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Understanding of and ability to troubleshoot Intel based hardware
- Understanding of Windows or Linux installation, administration and troubleshooting
- Understanding of fundamental OS concepts like memory usage, disk and network device access as they apply to all operating systems (Linux and Windows)
- Ability to perform vulnerability management duties through application of patches and firmware updates
- Experience with scripting languages such as PowerShell, Python, and Java
- Ability to manage small projects through to completion
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in English (written and verbal)
- Ability to initiate discussions regarding aspects of the overall environment with peers.
- Ability to document designs and current configurations formally in Microsoft Office and informally with Wiki entries
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- Demonstrated Linux system administration experience
- Experience with OS level virtualization, e.g. KVM, VMWare
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.