Cloud Ops and DevOps Network Engineer - Internship (Ottawa, ON)
Change the world at IBM. There aren’t many companies who can say they have been an integral part of the global business landscape for more than a century. While the world has changed considerably over the past 100 years, IBM, our people and our offerings have continuously led the way with business and technology innovation.
Today, we are more than a hardware, software and services provider, yet we remain true to our heritage as a team of collaborative forward-thinkers, focused on making business and society work better. We are part of the fabric of everyday life and stand for world-changing progress.
Join a company where you can make an impact and literally change the world. With so many different opportunities available – the sky is the limit!
This position resides in Ottawa, Ontario and is a 16 (internship) month work term commencing May, 2018. It ismandatory that all applicants are enrolled in full-time studies at a post-secondary institution and returning to full-time studies upon completion of the work term.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging, innovative and rewarding
- A business casual dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to the Future Blue Community - IBM’s large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online atwww.ibm.com/jobs .
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Ready to grow your networking career in the cloud? This is your chance to be part of a dynamic team of talented professionals who are supporting innovative, cloud-based analytics solutions within IBM. You’ll have the opportunity to contribute to shaping and honing our service offerings, as well as continuing to develop your technical skill set with the latest technologies.
IBM Business Analytics Cloud Operations team is seeking a Network Engineer Intern to join their SaaS team. We are looking for a Network Engineer who has a background of implementing/supporting a broad range of network and security devices. The successful candidate will be a part of a team to support, design, and facilitate technical buildout of network infrastructure on Softlayer environments, including installation and configuration of load balancers, VPNs, Vyatta and Fortinet Gateways/Firewalls.
Primary Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Manage network infrastructure as part of a team
- Support Cloud offerings architecture development lifecycle for Networks
- Be eager to learn of strategies and architecture covering all aspects of the Network Architecture, including: WAN, LAN, unified communications and security.
- Create a network capacity requirement plan
- Develop and document repeatable models and Softlayer engagement materials.
- Work on Network architectural approval and security certification processes as needed (e.g. IES (Re)Certification, HIPAA, GDPR, etc.)
- Serve as level 1 technical support for diagnosing and repairing network related issues
- Drive network configuration automation
We use a follow-the-sun support model between sites in Canada, Australia, Romania, and the US. The team member will be expected to work with teams from other time zones and ensure that customer issues have continuous attention. Work hours are flexible and can vary, depending on the offering supported. At times the workload may require extra effort that involves working past the normal end-time for the day.
Participation in the maintenance activity is required of all Cloud teams. Participation in an on-call rotation is also required, which involves being available some nights and weekends to work high priority issues.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Understanding of network configuration issues including, security constraints, firewall configuration, capacity planning, routing protocols including OSPF and BGP, availability etc.
- Troubleshooting skills
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- Knowledge of firewalls (Vyatta, Fortigate, Cisco, Juniper)
- Understanding network design
- Some experience in implementing switches, routers, firewalls, VPN, Cloud Security
- Knowledge of Load Balancers (F5, DataPower, NetScaler, NGINX...)
- Some Shell/Python scripting skills
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.