Business Operations - Software Developer - Internship (Markham, ON)
IBM is a globally integrated technology and consulting company headquartered in Armonk, New York. With operations in more than 170 countries, IBM attracts and retains some of the world's most talented people to help solve problems and provide an edge for businesses, governments and non-profits.
Today, IBM is focused on five growth initiatives - Cloud, Big Data and Analytics, Mobile, Social Business and Security. IBMers are working with customers around the world to apply the company's business consulting, technology and Research & Development expertise to enable systems of engagement that deliver dynamic insights for businesses and governments worldwide.
The following student position is a part of IBM Canada's EPIC (Employment Pathways to Interns & Co-ops) Student Program. This position is only open to students registered in a Canadian University or College program, who have completed a minimum of 2 years of their degree or diploma program, and who must be returning to full-time study upon the completion of the temporary IBM work term.
*This Student Position resides in Markham, Ontario and is a 16 (internship) month work term commencing May 2017.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging and rewarding
- A business causal dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to Future Blue - IBM's large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs including a (1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) official or unofficial transcripts.
The following job responsibilities for Business Operations - Software Developer include:
- Design, Implement, test, and maintain resource management databases in development, test, and production environment
- Create and maintain star schema data models, perform ETLs and validate results
- Carry out monitoring, tuning, and database performance analysis
- Ensure data integrity by conducting periodic audit and validation of reports and databases
- Facilitate business reporting through developing and maintaining custom Cognos reports
- Prepare ad hoc queries reports for both business and technical teams
- Develop and maintain automation scripts
- Liaise with worldwide teams to collect up-to-date information and coordinate timely databases changes and updates
- Conduct periodic review and audit of access controls
- Document standard operating procedures and help ensure knowledge transfer
Required Education: High School Diploma/GED
Preferred Education: Pre-University Qualification
Required Technical and Professional Expertise:
- Solid understanding of relational databases, knowledge of DB2/SQL is an asset
- Demonstrated passion for technology, business and the technical community (i.e. contribution to open source, volunteerism)
- Experience with Java, C/C++, Python, VBA programming languages
- Experience with Windows and/or Linux operating systems
- Demonstrated communication skills and an aptitude for collaborative team work
- Ability to manage multiple assignments, and to adapt changing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to explain technical requirements to non-technical members
- Energetic, self-driven, and results oriented
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience:
- Experience with Cognos BI Suite of Software, Lotus Notes Applications, and/or IBM Domino and Notes Script is an asset
- Understanding of relational databases & basic data warehousing principles
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria) on a work permit you are not eligible for employment in this position.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.