Big Data Analytics Web Application Developer - Internship (Ottawa, ON)
IBM is a globally integrated technology and consulting company headquartered in Armonk, New York. With operations in more than 170 countries, IBM attracts and retains some of the world's most talented people to help solve problems and provide an edge for businesses, governments and non-profits.
Today, IBM is focused on five growth initiatives - Cloud, Big Data and Analytics, Mobile, Social Business and Security. IBMers are working with customers around the world to apply the company's business consulting, technology and Research & Development expertise to enable systems of engagement that deliver dynamic insights for businesses and governments worldwide.
The following student position is a part of IBM Canada's EPIC (Employment Pathways to Interns & Co-ops) Student Program. This position is only open to students registered in a Canadian University or College program, who have completed a minimum of 2 years of their degree or diploma program, and who must be returning to full-time study upon the completion of the temporary IBM work term.
*This Student Position resides in Ottawa, Ontario and is a 12-month internship work term commencing May 1, 2017.
What IBM Offers You?
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work on projects which are challenging and rewarding
- A business causal dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Access to Future Blue - IBM's large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
It is a mandatory requirement for students to apply online at www.ibm.com/jobs including a (1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) official or unofficial transcripts.
The following job responsibilities for Big Data Analytics Web Application Developer include:
- Working across a variety of disciplines to investigate, prototype, develop, test and deliver software supporting an enterprise class SaaS offering based on and Big Data Analytics.
- Working with Architecture and Analytics Development teams to investigate and prototype innovative solutions for tough data problems using leading and emerging big data, distributed and machine learning technologies, such as Apache Spark, Apache Hadoop, Apache Kudu, Apache Hive, Apache HBase, Swift Object Storage, S3 Object Storage, Cloudant, Couchbase and dashDB.
- Build software for the cloud, within the cloud, using various Platform-as a-service (PaaS), Software-as a-service (SaaS), Infrastructure-as a-service (IaaS) technologies and related tools
- They will be involved in all phases of Software Development Life Cycle including requirements definition, design, development, and testing.
- Will interact, and communicate with, Global team members, as well as, other groups in IBM, and will work in a true agile Squad based software development environment.
- Candidates should be highly motivated, enthusiastic, and be able to work under minimal guidance with demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills. Your collaboration and communication skills will be fundamental to the overall team success of the projects you work on.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise:
- Exhibited programming skills using one of Python, Scala or Java
- Preferred work experience with Nodejs, Express, D3
- Knowledge or work experience with distributed computing and storage
- Demonstrated working knowledge of databases and SQL programming skills
- Exhibited strong verbal and written communications skills
- Can work well in a team and independently
- Demonstrated understanding of Software Engineering
- Knowledge of deploying services into an Enterprise Cloud Environment would be an asset
- Experience in developing and testing UIâ??s, using different UI frameworks, such as React would be beneficial
- Working experience with industry test automation -
- an asset, would be in areas of Selenium, Mocha, and Chai
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience:
- Proven experience with developing and testing Enterprise sized Web based applications
- Knowledge of Web development Framework toolkits such as React, Redux, or Angular
- Knowledge or work experience in the following areas:
- Distributed computing technologies, especially
- Apache Spark and Apache Hadoop
- Distributed database technologies, especially
- Apache Kudu, Apache Hive, Apache HBase, Parquet, ORC
- Distributed storage technologies, especially
- HDFS, Swift Object Storage and S3 Object Storage
- Distributed NoSQL technologies, especially
- Cloudant and Couchbase
- Knowledge or work experience with data warehousing, analytics and related databases such as dashDB
- Knowledge of Cloud infrastructure technologies (PaaS) such as IBM Bluemix
- Knowledge of IBM products such as DB2, Cloud Services, Bluemix
- Experience with various programming languages
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria) on a work permit you are not eligible for employment in this position.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.