Haven Toronto is a drop-in center where elder homeless, marginally housed and socially isolated men can feel safe, where they can form and cultivate friendships, and become part of a community. We seek a registered nurse to manage our newly formed drop-in medical at Haven Toronto. Using a client-centered, trauma-informed, anti-oppression and harm reduction approach, the nurse will establish, maintain and operate within Haven Toronto a drop-in model of nursing care for the clients using the services and programs. The nurse with the Executive Director will establish the protocols, policies and procedures in accordance with the Ministry of Health guidelines and all relevant regulatory bodies.
The position will be a 3-year full-time contract, with operating hours of the clinic, Monday to Friday 8 a.m. -4 p.m. The position will work collaboratively with other health care professional and other members of the Haven Toronto to work with clients in the identification and resolution, where appropriate, of health issues and integration of client care, making referrals to other service providers.
The position requires a commitment and adherence to the vision, principles, and goals of Haven Toronto.
Works independently, under the guidance of directives, or in consultation with other primary care providers or other relevant inter-professional team members as appropriate
Orients clients to medical service and supports a welcoming, non-judgmental and safe space
Establishes a therapeutic relationship and develops a rapport with clients
Follows documentation protocols and maintains clear, accurate and timely written documentation in accordance with established procedures and policies of their respective regulatory bodies, the MOH and Haven Toronto; prepares/maintains statistical data, correspondence reports and other documentation, as required
Completes intake and assessments, when required, and makes referrals to other health or social services within the community
Identifies trends or issues related to the health status of priority groups and uses this information in service planning and advocacy work
Maintains a hygienic working environment, conducts infection control tasks in accordance with related policies and procedures
Liaises with other Haven Toronto and community partners and participates in knowledge exchange/transfer activities, on occasion and in consultation with the management team
Provides health-related equipment or supplies to clients, including harm reduction supplies, and advises on their proper use
Other duties as required
- Degree in Nursing with current registration as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario & RNAO membership
- Minimum three (3) years of experience in a community setting or combination of community and hospital or public health settings; experience in primary care or street/outreach nursing setting an asset
- Significant frontline nursing harm reduction experience; values aligned with a harm reduction approach to service delivery
- Experience working with people who use drugs
- Experience in emergency response
- Experience in program development, implementation monitoring, and evaluation considered an asset
- Proficiency in the use of computer technology and various software applications
- Strong oral and written communication skills; ability to actively and accurately listen
- Open to feedback
- Ability to appropriately handle conflict
- Demonstrated display of sensitivity to others
- Respects and values the diversity of communities and individuals
Resumes can be submitted to by December 6, 2018:
170 Jarvis St.
Toronto, ON M5b 2B7
No phone calls, faxes, or mailed resumes, please.
The final candidate(s) will be required to provide a current police reference check prior to being hired.
We strive to foster a workplace that reflects the diversity of the community we serve and welcome applications from all qualified candidates; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Haven Toronto is also committed to developing an inclusive, barrier-free selection process and work environment. If contacted, please advise the hiring manager if you require any accommodation measures to ensure you will be interviewed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation requests will be treated with confidentiality.
TalentEgg will send your application to: email@example.com