Safety & Risk Specialist
Girl Guides of Canada (GGC) empowers every girl to be everything she wants to be. As a girl-driven organization, girls are given choice, voice and the scope to take action, all within a fun and friendship-based environment. We strive to ensure that girls and women from all walks of life, identities and lived experiences feel a sense of belonging and can fully participate. GGC is an organization with over 100 years of history and a strong and growing future.
GGC is actively searching for a Safety & Risk Specialist.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a leading girl-driven organization in a role that will enable girls to safely participate in activities and experiences that challenge and inspire them. We’re seeking an individual who is passionate about facilitating safe environments for girls whether it’s in a meeting with her friends, hiking in the wilderness or travelling the world.
The Safety & Risk Specialist will be the organizational lead on maintaining, overseeing and evaluating GGC’s safety framework through which programs are delivered to girls. GGC is currently reassessing its approach to member safety. With the support of a Project Manager, the Safety and Risk Specialist must have the ability to redevelop and implement a new safety framework including:
- Redevelopment and documentation of safety guidelines
- Ensuring framework balances safety against risk
- Assessment of GGC’s current infrastructure that supports safety at the organization
- Improving GGC’s ability to deliver exceptional girl-driven experiences
- Working with external experts to ensure alignment with current standards and best practices
- Working with Diversity and Inclusivity Manager to ensure alignment with D&I strategy
- Working with Business Process Analyst to improve processes and any related infrastructure
- Working with Digital Transformation team to put in place technological solutions
- Working with Program Delivery team on a roll-out, training, and implementation strategy
- Developing a risk evaluation methodology in conjunction with evaluation and research staff
- Working with communications team on a roll-out and implementation plan as well as supporting a Crisis Communication plan
Ongoing, the Safety & Risk Specialist will oversee the safety framework, execute the evaluation of the framework, occasionally attend GGC events such as camps, unit meetings or other large-scale events, monitor best practices in risk management and activity safety, and other tasks related to maintaining GGC’s safety program.
The model candidate will have experience in safety and risk, particularly in the context of youth development,
special education, outdoor education, community development, and/or adventure education. S/he should be knowledgeable and experienced on all current safety regulations and standards and have specific experience relating to safety and risk assessment around camping, outdoor activities, water and boating, activities and international travel. The candidate should also have experience working with participants from diverse backgrounds and/or with special needs and maintains First Aid, CPR, and AED trainer status. The role also requires travel to various locations across the country and work on the occasional evening or weekend.
Does this sound like you? Then apply today.
This position will remain open until filled.
Submit a cover letter and resume (as one file) with salary expectations to:
Leisa McKenzie – Manager, People & Culture
Girl Guides of Canada – Guides du Canada
50 Merton Street, Toronto, Ontario M4S 1A3 E-mail HR@girlguides.ca
Girl Guides of Canada-Guides du Canada (GGC) recognizes and values the richness of human diversity in its many forms, and therefore strives to ensure environments where girls and women from all walks of life, identities, and lived experiences feel a sense of belonging and can participate fully.
Upon request, Girl Guides of Canada-Guides du Canada will make available reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities during the recruitment process. Accommodation requests should be made in advance to People & Culture.
We thank all candidates for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.