Registered Nurse, Chronic Disease Nurse, Diabetes - ARHCC
Participates as a member of an interdisciplinary team in the planning, implementation, development and evaluation of individual care plans for clients with Diabetes referred to a Chronic Care Centre or a Diabetes Education Centre; supports patient self-management of the chronic disease through teaching and counselling, on a group and individual basis, in order to promote and assist with health lifestyle adjustments; conducts outpatient assessments; shares information and collaborates with other health care team members in order to ensure the provision of quality chronic disease management services through the health care system.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops, implements, revises and evaluates individualized care plans based on established assessment processes, in collaboration with other health care professionals.
- Enhances patient self-management of diabetes and co-morbidities through various teaching/education methods including individual counselling and group facilitation.
- Writes timely and accurate patient reports of relevant observations including patient and/or family teaching and evaluation of nursing care.
- Participates and provides input into clinical case reviews, program development and evaluation, education materials and delivery and other clinical resources.
- Provides orientation and mentoring to new staff; participates as a preceptor to students.
- Provides input into policies, protocols and procedures to meet best practices/standards/protocols for patient education on diabetes.
- Acts as a resource to other health care professionals and provides information sessions on diabetes, as needed.
- Participates in quality improvement and risk management activities by participating in research and special projects related to diabetes.
- Maintains client records, documentation and related statistics, as required.
- Participates on local, regional, program and professional committees, as assigned.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Graduation from an approved school of Nursing. Two (2) years' recent related clinical experience assessing and treating patients with diabetes within a chronic disease management framework including supporting self management and accreditation as a certified Diabetes Educator (CDE), or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP). Current CPR certification.
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge of current standards for diabetes management.
- Demonstrated understanding of the principles of adult/child/youth learning including strategies around empowerment and motivation.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to teach and implement a diabetes education program for patients/clients/families, in both an individual and group setting.
- Ability to create and maintain rapport with the patient/client/family and with other health care providers.
- Ability to plan and prioritize work in a continuously changing environment.
- Ability to operate related equipment included related software applications.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.