Registered Nurse, Cardiac Surgery Intensive Care Unit (CSICU) - RCH
Provides and co-ordinates nursing care to assigned patients consistent with current Standards of Professional Practice and the Nursing Philosophy of Royal Columbian Hospital.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assesses, plans, implements and evaluates nursing care of assigned patients. Diagnoses actual or potential problems and strengths, plans interventions, performs planned interventions and evaluates outcomes.
- Collects information from a variety of sources using skills of observation, communication and physical assessment to enable the provision of appropriate nursing care.
- Writes timely and accurate reports of relevant observations including patient and family teaching and evaluation of nursing care.
- Communicates and consults with members of the health care team about patients care. Participates in multidisciplinary conferences. Explains plan of care to patients and their family.
- Acts as an advocate to protect and promote the patients rights to autonomy, respect, privacy, dignity and access to information.
- Participates in quality improvement activities and research by identifying patient care issues and collecting data.
- Participates as an active member on nursing and hospital committees and councils for improvement of patient care and/or work environment.
- Participates in the orientation and ongoing education of nursing staff and students by providing information and acting as a preceptor as appropriate. Identifies self-learning needs and attends educational programs to maintain and enhance clinical competency.
- Participates in the evaluation of patient care programs, techniques, standards and procedures by providing feedback about effectiveness and patient care outcomes.
- Maintains a safe environment for patients, families and staff by adhering to established safety and emergency practices and procedures.
- Performs other professionally related duties as required.
Graduate of an approved school of nursing with current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP).
Completion of Critical Care Level 2 course plus one (1) year's Cardiac Surgery experience or two (2) years' recent experience in critical care in an acute care facility and one (1) year recent Cardiac Surgery experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Current Basic Rescuer Certificate.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal effectively with others.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.