Reporting to the Manager, Clinical Services and under the clinical direction of the Clinical Supervisor, Recreation Therapist (or designate for professional practice issues), the Recreation Therapist assesses, plans, implements and monitors Recreation Therapy services to residents which are designed to meet their individual needs and abilities, in order to maintain and improve their level of social and leisure function.
As a member of an interdisciplinary team, the recreation therapist liaises with the appropriate program/team.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides input into the development of the recreation programs in the assigned areas. Implements and evaluates recreation therapy programs and determines program modification as necessary. Plans special events as appropriate.
- Conducts the assessment of each resident's social and leisure abilities. In consultation and cooperation with other interdisciplinary team members, plans, implements and evaluates the resident's daily plan of care. Creates and modifies programs to meet changing needs of residents, seeking resources and adaptive materials as needed/appropriate. Educates residents and families in aspects of recreation therapy treatment.
- Participates in interdisciplinary team conferences and family conferences as appropriate.
- Collaborates with other team members regarding program related issues.
- Provides input into the performance evaluation of clinical support staff.
- Assists with the implementation of the staff education programs relating to Recreation Therapy.
- Acts as a resource person to staff regarding Therapeutic Recreation needs for residents. Provides guidance, direction and role model practices to support staff related to working with special populations.
- Prepares food items with residents. Portions out and serves food and beverages and assists residents with eating refreshments at programs.
- Makes recommendations regarding the purchase, general maintenance and repair of equipment and supplies; participates in purchasing materials to support programs. .
- Maintains residents' records, clinical outcome measures and statistical data in accordance with department, facility and professional standards
- Participates in interdisciplinary, departmental and professional development to ensure awareness of current developments of evidence based therapeutic recreation practice
- Participates in orientation and in-service training of staff, students and volunteers by conducting group/individual in-services on topics related to recreation therapy programs and practice.
- Provides instruction, feedback and supervision to volunteers and students as required
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in Recreation Therapy. One year experience in Therapeutic Recreation or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Eligibility for membership with the BC Therapeutic Recreation Association (BCTRA).
Successful completion of Foodsafe Course Level 1.
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to teach, consult and advise.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with others both within and outside the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize and prioritize work in a continuously changing environment and take initiative to ensure effective and timely delivery of services.
- Demonstrated ability to deal with and promote change.
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve and effectively deal with conflict situations.
- Demonstrated ability to operate related equipment.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Basic computer literacy.