Performs staffing duties for a program(s) including preparing and adjusting staff rotations, allocating and calling in relief nursing and non-nursing staff to fill vacancies in accordance with applicable collective agreements; makes arrangements for relief staff by receiving calls and making any necessary calculations to determine availability of existing staff according to established procedures utilizing a computerized staff scheduling system; processes requests such as vacation, leave of absence, termination, maternity and parental leave, maintains timekeeping records for the staff utilizing a computerized payroll system and maintains related records and documentation; performs clerical duties including typing technical and non-technical material utilizing applicable software applications, arranging meetings and appointments as directed; performs receptionist duties, sets up and maintains filing system(s).
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepares and posts staff rotations and schedules for units by reviewing master rotations/flow sheets and transferring and extending information from master rotations; adjusts schedules to account for leaves of absences, vacancies, terminations and vacation and adjusts hours according to applicable collective agreements; identifies staff shortages and notifies units and/or Supervisor, Staffing Services.
- Makes arrangements for relief staffing by receiving notification from staff and/or Staffing Services, recording calls and making any necessary calculations such as staff/patient ratios to determine availability of existing staff according to established procedures; contacts relief staff and forwards information to the Program Manager and Staffing Supervisor; responds to inquiries related to staffing issues and refers complex problems to the Staffing Supervisor, as required for resolution.
- Allocates and calls in relief staff to fill vacancies resulting from unfilled positions such as shift changes, vacation, leaves of absence and sick leaves by utilizing a computerized staff scheduling system; processes requests in accordance with applicable collective agreements, prepares revised relief staff schedules and forwards to the Program Manager and Staffing Supervisor.
- Prepares vacation charts for the program(s) and performs related duties such as gathering information related to staff vacation time; processes requests such as vacation, leave of absence, termination. maternity and parental leave by preparing documentation, making necessary calculations and forwarding to Program Manager for approval in accordance with unit procedures; enters approved vacation time into the computerized staff scheduling system, notifies staff of approved vacation time and requests further information from employees when vacation time is denied; identifies vacation and statutory days that must be used by year-end and notifies staff and the Program Manager, as required.
- Maintains timekeeping records for the program(s) staff utilizing a computerized payroll system and submits information to Payroll; liaises with Payroll regarding inquiries and makes payroll adjustments, as required; responds to employee inquiries regarding the application of collective agreements such as vacation accumulation and pay policies.
- Maintains related records and documentation such as attendance records, paid leave forms and relief staff availability; assists the Program Manager and Business Support Assistant to complete forms ensuring position control tracking on documentation is correct, submits to the Program Manager for approval and forwards information to Human Resources, as required.
- Assists the Program Manager and Business Support Assistant with the posting and recruitment process by preparing information on vacancies as notified, submitting information to the Program Manager for approval and forwarding to Human Resources; receives postings and applications from Human Resources, submits to the Program Manager for review; schedules start dates, orientation, and training dates for new staff as directed by the Program Manager/Educator.
- Types technical and non-technical material such as correspondence, procedures, memorandums, reports and minutes by utilizing various computer software applications and transcribing from dictation and/or draft.
- Arranges meetings and appointments as directed by Staffing Manager by booking interviews, seminars, staff meetings and meeting rooms; contacts appropriate personnel as needed.
- Performs receptionist duties such as receiving visitors, answering/directing incoming calls for program staff, taking messages, answering routine inquiries and providing information of a general nature.
- Sets up and maintains filing system(s) for materials such as correspondence, personnel records, equipment and supply records by indexing binders, creating and labeling files and filing material.
- Maintains office supplies by monitoring levels according to pre-determined levels, completing purchase requisitions and forwarding to the Staffing Manager for approval.
- Provides staffing related information to departments by compiling statistics from a computerized staff scheduling system, submitting to Program Manager and Staffing Services Supervisor for review and forwarding to appropriate department as requested.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Grade 12 and four (4) years' recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to type at 40 wpm
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Ability to deal with others effectively
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
- Ability to organize work
- Ability to operate related equipment