Power Engineer (FM)
Under the direction of the Chief Engineer or delegate, operates and maintains a variety of computerized building automated systems; operates and maintains the facility HVAC systems, emergency power systems and other utilities; performs operational and maintenance duties associated with buildings, equipment, furnishings and grounds as required.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Operates and maintains a variety of computerized building automated systems; analyzes, revises and modifies existing application of computer programs to achieve the desired results.
- Performs preventative maintenance on computerized building automated systems by testing, calibrating and replacing parts as required such as transducers, electro-pneumatic valves, relays, switches and stand alone computerized controllers.
- Responds to service and emergency calls in relation to the computerized building automated systems, performs repairs and adjustments as required.
- Monitors the information provided by the computerized building automation systems to ensure that the HVAC systems and other equipment are functioning correctly. Responds and remedies abnormalities by operating the computer and/or adjusting instrumentation as required.
- Operates steam and heating boilers/air conditioning systems by starting up and shutting down boilers and related pumps, fans, air compressors and chillers. Monitors and adjusts temperature control systems, pressure and feed water levels. Records meter and gauge reading to ensure distribution of steam/air heating to designated areas. Following a preventative maintenance program, maintains and services equipment associated with these systems by repairing, calibrating and replacing items such as steam traps, gaskets, seals, bearings and filters. Recommends repairs and purchases as required.
- Monitors and adjusts chemical treatment system and analyzes chemical formulae.
- Inspects mechanical rooms and areas to ensure that all equipment is operating safely and efficiently. Records readings, abnormalities and other pertinent information on appropriate log sheets.
- Tests and maintains auxiliary power generators and repairs/adjusts as required.
- Performs analysis on boiler systems such as combustion analysis, water treatment analysis and steam efficiency analysis.
- Answers service and emergency calls, assesses and performs repairs as necessary and calls in appropriate staff for skilled journey person work as required.
- Follows a preventative maintenance program by inspecting, servicing or overhauling a variety of Hospital equipment and machinery such as wheelchairs, beds, stretchers, sterilizers, floor polishers, suction units and washer/sanitizers by oiling, greasing, repairing and replacing items such as bearings, chains, valves, seals, wheels and belts. Recommends repair and purchase as required.
- Assigns work tasks to designated staff, when required and provides related training and orientation as necessary.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Certificate of competency as a 3rd Class Power Engineer recognized by the Province of B.C.
Four years' recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, drawings and specifications.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to operate related equipment.