Pharmacy Assistant IA
Under the general supervision of the Coordinator, Pharmacy Services or designate, assists with drug dispensing by measuring, compounding, packaging and distributing medications. Verifies prescription refills and/or unit-dose cassettes filled by other Pharmacy Assistants for accuracy in accordance with established procedures. Maintains stock levels and performs clerical duties as assigned.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Receives, sorts and enters patient, resident or client medication orders into the pharmacy computer system and counts or measures and fills medication containers or unit-dose cassettes. Distributes checked or verified medications to patient-care units as required or directed.
- Prepackages oral, liquid and topical medications into unit-of-use format. Compounds non-sterile pharmaceutical products. Maintains prepackaging and compounding records.
- Verifies the accuracy of prepackaged, compounded or refilled medications and unit-dose cassettes completed by other Pharmacy Assistants in accordance established policies and procedures. Maintains accurate records of medication verification and the results of quality assurance checks.
- Maintains inventory and wardstock levels. Fills wardstock and narcotic requisitions. Distributes medications and maintains relevant inventory, wardstock and narcotic records.
- Identifies outdated drugs to be returned or destroyed by checking stock for lot expiry dates.
- Maintains department work areas by ensuring tidiness and order. Stocks pharmaceuticals, labels, containers and glassware in accordance with established procedures and standards.
- Performs related clerical duties such as typing, answering telephone, filing and maintaining medication and prescription records.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Grade 12, graduation from a recognized Pharmacy Assistant Program or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to type.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.