Administrative Support Clerk, Public Health
Under the general supervision of the Public Health Administrative Supervisor performs a variety of administrative support functions such as providing reception services, typing technical and non-technical material utilizing wordprocessing software, setting-up and maintaining filing system, processing incoming and outgoing mail, faxes, reports/records, and courier documents, maintaining levels of stationery and office supplies, arranging meetings/special functions, operating office equipment, assisting with the intake of clients, and performing general timekeeping functions as required.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides reception services by performing duties such as operating a multi-line switchboard or phone, answering/directing incoming calls for staff, taking messages, answering routine inquiries, and providing information of a general nature. Receives visitors and refers to appropriate areas. Contacts other health departments/organizations to obtain information as required.
- Types technical and non-technical material such as correspondence, reports, and documents utilizing various word processing software and computerized systems by performing functions such as inputting data and client information, maintaining registers, and typing from handwritten draft or general instruction. Prepares various informational/resource packages by designing, updating, photocopying and collating packages/brochures for distribution to the client/family and/or members of the public.
- Sets up and maintains the filing system for a variety of records such as correspondence, reports, minutes, directories, and personnel information by performing duties such as creating and labeling files, developing forms, indexing materials, and filing.
- Processes incoming and outgoing mail, faxes, reports/records, and courier documents by performing duties such as receiving, recording, date stamping, sorting and distributing mail to appropriate personnel and preparing outgoing mail for pickup utilizing a postage meter as required. Signs for receipt of packages and shipments.
- Maintains levels of stationery, office supplies, and resources according to pre-determined levels by photocopying, completing requisitions for signature, and forwarding approved requisition to appropriate personnel.
- Arranges meetings/special functions as directed by performing duties such as booking meeting rooms, arranging catering, contacting appropriate personnel, sending invitations, typing and circulating notices and/or agendas from written drafts, and recording and distributing minutes as required.
- Operates office equipment such as photocopiers, shredders, and fax machines and carries out minor maintenance such as loading paper, removing paper jams, cleaning glass, and changing toner cartridges. Refers further maintenance required to supervisor.
- Assists with client intake by performing functions such as scheduling and confirming client appointments, obtaining client information, completing required documentation, and maintaining waiting lists.
- Performs general timekeeping functions by gathering hours worked, coding hours into payroll system, and forwarding to payroll upon approval as required. Reviews verification reports, identifies discrepancies, and answers inquiries from staff as required in designated areas.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Grade 12 and graduation from an approved Office Administration Certificate program plus 1 years' recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing in English.
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively with others.
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively with others in conflict situations.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve, make decisions and exercise sound judgment.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative.
- Demonstrated ability to organize work and establish workload priorities in collaboration with others.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in collaboration with others.
- Demonstrated ability to type 45 wpm.
- Demonstrated ability to use applicable computer equipment and software.
- Demonstrated ability to operate related equipment.
- Working knowledge of general office practice and procedures and their application.
- Working knowledge of relevant acts, regulations, programs, policies and procedures.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.