Software Developer - Data Science
Farmers Edge is a global leader in decision agriculture servicing over 22 million paid product acres worldwide with precision digital solutions. Integrating field-centric data, easy-to-use software, state-of-the-art processing technology, predictive modelling, and advanced agronomic analytics, Farmers Edge provides growers with scalable solutions to produce more with less. Using innovative digital agronomic tools, Farmers Edge solutions focus on the sustainable production of high-yielding, high-quality crops and are designed to optimize inputs, minimize environmental impact, and protect economic viability of the farm. From seed selection to yield data analytics, Farmers Edge transforms big data into timely and accurate insights to support informed decision making.
Software Developer (Data Science)
Location: Lethbridge, AB. Remote location may be negotiable.
Reporting to the Data Science Manager, as the Software Developer of the Data Science team, you will be supporting the work of the data scientists through developing ETL processes and making the results accessible to the rest of the company.
Our talented Data Science team is constantly working on new, industry-leading projects and this role will give the Software Developer an opportunity to assist with these exciting projects to reach their full potential.
What you'll be doing:
- Interpret and parse data from internal and external systems;
- Collaborate with data scientists on the team;
- Support code for machine learning models developed by data scientists;
- Calculate accuracy of machine learning models;
- Participate in weekly review meetings;
- Refactor code for performance and readability;
- Perform necessary library upgrades;
- Perform code reviews;
- Document internal source code;
- Create automatic testing (unit testing);
- Troubleshoot deployed applications;
- Collaborate with the data scientists on your team,
- Collaborate with other teams such as Remote Sensing, Agronomy R&D, Web Services, DevOps, and Image Processing;
- Other duties as assigned.
Experience you'll need to succeed:
- Python / Django development;
- Basic working knowledge of HTTP services;
- Quality control tools / testing frameworks;
- Revision control software (e.g. Git);
- Unit testing;
- Agile / Scrum / SDLC methodologies.
We Would love to see:
- Education in Computer Science with a focus on programming (Diploma, Degree, or Graduate studies);
- Previous experience in software development;
- Agricultural knowledge;
- Comfortable working in a team environment, but also willing to work independently on assigned tasks;
- Creative, self-motivated, resourceful and passionate.
What you'll get:
- Competitive compensation;
- Extensive benefits package;
- Employer matched DPSP retirement plan;
- The opportunity to expand your skill set while making impactful contributions to cutting-edge products.