135-18 Counsellor – Foster Family Support Services
JOB OPPORTUNITY: Counsellor – Foster Family Support Services
Counsellor - Foster Family Support Services - Competition #135-18
DO YOU WANT A MEANINGFUL CAREER, HELPING OTHERS? JOIN US!
ABOUT FAMILY SERVICES OF GREATER VANCOUVER (FSGV)
Founded in 1928 and celebrating its 90th year, FSGV is a charitable organization with nearly 100 social services programs and 500 employees across Vancouver and the Lower Mainland.
FSGV commands respect in the community while envisioning and impacting brighter futures for the people we serve. We provide a supportive workplace for our staff and professional, effective services for our clients, including counselling, therapy, advocacy, education, employment support and community services.
HERE’S WHAT WE CAN DO TOGETHER
The Counsellor provides support services and counselling to those providing care to children who are unable to live with their parent(s) and who are served by MCFD. The object of FFSS is to promote safety, well-being, resilience, healthy development and permanence for vulnerable children within their families and communities
WHAT YOU BRING
- Master’s degree (MA) in Clinical Counselling, Child and Youth Care, or Social Work (MSW) with a minimum of 3 years in a related field, or will consider a Bachelor’s degree in a related field with extensive experience
- Current registration with a regulatory body: RSW or RCC is an asset
- Knowledge of clinical therapeutic models and techniques, for individuals, couples and families, including developmental and attachment theory
- Familiarity with the legal system/legislation pertaining to MCFD child protection, MCFD Foster Family Resources and the Personal Information Protection Act
- Excellent crisis intervention and assessment skills and the ability to develop flexible service plans that meet the unique individual needs of the client
- Computer skills in a Windows/PC environment
- Understanding of cross-cultural and equity issues
- Ability to work independently and on a team
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with social service system personnel and other community programs
- Knowledge of community resources
YOUR KEY CONTRIBUTIONS
- Refers client to appropriate resources when needed, such as outside counseling resources, job training, legal aid, medical services, as well as local, provincial and community-based resources for clients
- Provides support to MCFD foster parents and caregivers with indigenous and non indigenous children and youth
- Actively develops collaborative relationships with referring agencies/social workers
- Provides support to MCFD recruitment efforts by working collaboratively with MCFD recruitment teams on new recruitment initiatives, participating in the planning and attending of Foster Family community and attend MCFD recruitment events such as Foster Parent coffee houses
- Facilitates foster parent/caregiver group meetings
- Liaises with community systems involved in the family’s life
- Attends client meetings with MCFD including Integrated Case Management, Family Case Planning Conferences, MCFD Mediation, along with other professionals and community partners when requested
WHAT WE OFFER YOU
FSGV provides a comprehensive compensation package, with pension and generous extended health benefits for our regular staff.
FSGV supports career development and training for staff to reach their potential, offering mentorship and professional advancement in a supportive environment. We recognize the importance of work-life balance, wellness and a safe, inclusive and welcoming workplace that values diversity and respect for all.
Work Hours: This is a permanent 35 hours per week position with a flexible Monday to Friday schedule.
Salary: GS10 step 1 $1861.30 bi-weekly
Location: Work in the culturally vibrant Vancouver neighbourhood of Commercial and Broadway
HOW TO APPLY
If this describes you, please send us your resume and cover letter (indicating the competition number #135-18 in email subject line). In your cover letter, please outline your interest and relevant experience for this role, and tell us where you heard about this opportunity.
**if you are an internal candidate, please indicate “INTERNAL” in the subject line of the email**
FSGV is an equal opportunity employer. If you require a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please email your contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org for follow-up.
Send your application to: Jim Staton, Manager of Clinical Operations – email@example.com
Post End Date: This will remain open until the position is filled.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interviews. Thank you for your interest.
FSGV is committed to the principles of diversity. We encourage applications from qualified people of all gender expressions and identities, sexual orientations, visible minorities, Indigenous persons and persons with disabilities.