Underwriter, Credit Operations (12 months)
EDC is Canada's export credit agency, offering information, knowledge and innovative commercial solutions to help Canadian exporters and investors expand their international business. EDC's knowledge and partnerships are used by more than 9,000 Canadian companies and their global customers in up to 200 markets worldwide each year. In 2017, EDC has been recognized as a Top 100 Employer and a Top Family-Friendly Employer.
EDC is financially self-sustaining, and is a recognized leader in financial reporting and economic analysis.
Team & Job Overview
EDC's Credit Insurance Underwriting group is looking for dynamic and motivated professionals to assist Canadian companies go, grow and succeed internationally. Working in close collaboration with both internal and external partners, the successful candidate(s) will facilitate international trade by helping our customers protect themselves against the risk of non-payment from foreign companies.
In the Credit Insurance Underwriter (Level 1) role you will be relied upon to engage with EDC's information providers and internal customers to support the assessment of counterparty creditworthiness, with a goal of achieving the optimal balance between customer-centricity and EDC's business requirements. In addition, you will actively participate in the attainment of the group's performance and growth objectives and be engaged in continuous improvement in order to remove obstacles, enhance the work environment and improve the customer experience.
We intend to use this candidate pool to fill openings in 2019.
- Delivers credit insurance solutions to facilitate international trade;
- Supports the assessment of risk of the proposed solutions in meeting customer needs, and provides on-going customer service throughout the product lifecycle;
- Supports the assessment of creditworthiness and risk level of buyers and performs some basic credit risk analysis to understand the company's current and future capabilities with regards to all types of obligations (ex: debt repayment, profitability and cash flow management), and uses business/economic/political analytical thinking to identify other types of risks associated with the transaction;
- Participates in continuous process improvement initiatives to streamline operations.
- Establishes relationships with internal customers;
- Validates buyers and leverages various external stakeholders to source credit and financial information;
- Applies standard processes to source, consolidate and document credit and financial information in a reliable and efficient manner;
- Supports the assessment of the credit worthiness and risk level of a buyer based on a credit and financial review;
- Assists with data requests and ensures the integrity application data.
- Completed an Undergraduate Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or in a related field
- 1-2 years' experience in insurance underwriting
- 1-2 years' related experience providing exceptional customer service
- Strong preference will be given to bilingual candidates (English and French)
- Proven ability to effectively and efficiently engage with other people and strong teamwork abilities
- Proven track record in delivering exceptional customer experience
- Highly agile and open to change
- High degree of curiosity and willingness to question the status quo in order to improve the work environment
- Track record of continuous self-improvement and personal growth
- Self-starter with a proven ability to execute on work in a timely and high-quality fashion
- Working knowledge of insurance underwriting principles and practices
- Experience in the banking industry
- $52,000 - $79,000
How to apply
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application deadline: February 15, 2019, 11:59 p.m. EST on www.edc.ca/careers
EDC is committed to employment equity and actively encourages applications from women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities. If selected for an interview, please advise us if you require special accommodation.
Candidates must meet the requisite government security screening requirements.
Number of Openings: 3
Primary Location: Canada-Ottawa
Job Type: Contract