Underwriter, Credit Insurance Underwriting
EDC is Canada's export credit agency, offering information, knowledge and innovative commercial solutions to help Canadian exporters and investors expand their international business. EDC's knowledge and partnerships are used by more than 7,400 Canadian companies and their global customers in up to 200 markets worldwide each year. In 2017, EDC has been recognized as a Top 100 Employer and a Top Family-Friendly Employer.
EDC is financially self-sustaining, and is a recognized leader in financial reporting and economic analysis.
EDC's Credit Insurance Underwriting group is looking for a dynamic and motivated professionals to assist Canadian companies go, grow and succeed internationally. Working in close collaboration with both internal and external partners, the successful candidate(s) will facilitate international trade by helping our customers protect themselves against the risk of non-payment from foreign companies.
In the underwriting role you will be relied upon to engage with EDC's customers to understand their needs, structure insurance coverage and assess counterparty creditworthiness to achieve the optimal balance between customer-centricity and EDC's business requirements. In addition, you will, actively participate in the attainment of the group's performance and growth objectives and be engaged in continuous improvement in order to remove obstacles, enhance the work environment and improve the customer experience.
We are currently looking to hire, in Ottawa, two permanent Underwriters at various levels which will be dependent on the candidates' experience and qualifications.
- Customer Relationship Management;
- Credit and Financial analysis;
- Policy structuring \\ needs assessment;
- Problem solving;
- Target achievements.
- Establishes relationships with internal and\\or external customers;
- Understands customer needs, determines optimal insurance coverage structure, terms and conditions and participates in delivery of the product to the client or prospect;
- Provides on-going customer service, acting as subject matter expert for our clients;
- Assesses the creditworthiness of foreign companies, understanding the likelihood of a company honoring its obligations through in depth financial and credit analysis (liquidity analysis, leverage & maturity schedules, profitability, cash-flow management, third party\\bank support and other factors such as competitiveness, market conditions\\elasticity of demand, industry trends);
- Participates in developing loss mitigation strategies when allocated credits become at risk;
- Participates in continuous process improvement initiatives to streamline operations
- Identifies problems and champions enhancements to existing processes;
- Contributes to the overall improvement of the programs results by striving for excellence and unrivaled execution.
- Undergraduate Degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Commerce or other relevant discipline
- Minimum of 2-3 years (Credit Insurance, level 2) or 5 years (Credit Insurance, level 3) or 7 years (Credit Insurance, level 4) of experience in insurance underwriting or related financial services experience
- Solid experience reading and interpreting financial statements with strong financial analysis skills
- Significant experience leading the successful completion of increasingly complex commercial credit transactions across a variety of industry sectors and\\or international markets
- Strong preference will be given to bilingual candidates (English and French)
- Proven ability to effectively and efficiently engage with other people and strong teamwork abilities
- Robust track record in delivering exceptional customer experience
- Highly agile and open to change
- High degree of curiousity and willingness to question the status quo in order to improve the work environment
- Track record of continuous self-improvement and personal growth
- Self starter with a proven ability to execute on work in a timely and high-quaility fashion
- International and/or commercial banking experience
- MBA, CFA or CPA designation
- Working knowledge of insurance underwriting principles and practices
- Credit Insurance, level 2 $62,000– $92,000 + performance based incentive
- Credit Insurance, level 3 $73,000– $109,000 + performance based incentive
- Credit Insurance, level 4 $86,000– $128,000 + performance based incentive
**Please note that we will consider candidates at the Credit Insurance 2 to Credit Insurance 4 depending on the incumbent's qualifications**
How to apply
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application deadline: March 2, 2018 11:59 p.m. EST on www.edc.ca/careers
EDC is committed to employment equity and actively encourages applications from women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities. If selected for an interview, please advise us if you require special accommodation.
Candidates must meet the requisite government security screening requirements.