Student, Investments - FinDev Canada (Montreal)
In January 2018, a new Canadian Development Finance Institution ("DFI"), operating as FinDev Canada, was established. Headquartered in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, FinDev Canada is a subsidiary of Export Development Canada ("EDC"), which operates as Canada's export credit agency, whose mandate is distinct from that of FinDev Canada. Canada's new DFI provides a range of financing solutions including debt, equity and guarantees to achieve clear development objectives by supporting private sector companies in emerging market countries in Latin America, the Caribbean and Sub-Sahara Africa.
The private sector has a key role to play as it is a fundamental driver of economic growth and development, and DFIs are critical instruments to facilitate and optimize the contribution of private investment to development. They respond to the specific challenges faced by companies operating in developing countries in getting access to the finance necessary to grow their business and they do so while remaining financially self-sustaining.
As a new entrant, FinDev Canada aspires to contribute to the field of private sector development finance with an innovative, collaborative and business-minded approach. Through its action, it will seek to generate positive impacts in terms of job creation, climate change mitigation and women economic empowerment, in a manner consistent with Canada's international development mandate.
This is a unique opportunity to join a small but growing team of highly talented professionals whose mission is to originate and turn a project into a successful, ground breaking organization whose activities will contribute to changing people's lives in developing countries.
The position is located in Montreal.
The FinDev Canada Investments team supports, originates, structures and delivers tailored financial solutions through active involvement within the domestic and international investment communities. This area of the business identifies and monitors opportunities for investments through direct investing, co-investing or investing across a combination of investment/asset class specializations.
- Researches and develops views on industry (including financial markets) and regional trends;
- Audits, develops and utilizes customized Excel financial models for valuation, risk assessment and cash flow profiling purposes;
- Contributes to various reporting requirements;
- Ensures discipline around data integrity;
- With oversight, supports financing transactions and contributes to the management of customer portfolios.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- Currently enrolled or recently graduated from an undergraduate program in Business Administration with a specialization in Finance / Accounting, or equivalent
- Preferably completed an MBA
- Experience in international and/or commercial banking
- Motivated self-starter, good organizational and analytical skills
- Demonstrated advanced Excel skills
- Knowledge of and commitment to sustainable development
- Bilingual in both official languages (French and English)
What can you expect from a FinDev Canada work term?
Building cross-functional networks of colleagues, identifying and following through on opportunities for improvement and innovation, learning and growing constantly through coaching and mentoring, working in a high-performing, fast-paced and flexible environment facilitated by technologies at our Montreal office.
How to apply
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application deadline: January 18th, 2019, 11:59 p.m. EST on www.FinDevCanada.ca/careers
FinDev Canada is committed to employment equity and actively encourages applications from women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities. If selected for an interview, please advise us if you require special accommodation.
Candidates must meet the requisite government security screening requirements.