Senior Associate/Sector Advisor, Global Trade – Agriculture/Agri-Food (12 months)
EDC is Canada's export credit agency, offering information, knowledge and innovative commercial solutions to help Canadian exporters and investors expand their international business. EDC's knowledge and partnerships are used by more than 7,400 Canadian companies and their global customers in up to 200 markets worldwide each year. In 2017, EDC has been recognized as a Top 100 Employer and a Top Family-Friendly Employer.
EDC is financially self-sustaining, and is a recognized leader in financial reporting and economic analysis.
Team & Job Overview
The Senior Associate/Sector Advisor takes a leadership role, under the guidance of the Manager, Global Trade Management, in the development, coordination and execution of the sector business development strategy. The role's primary focus is to identify and promote Canadian capabilities of their sector of responsibility and match these Canadian capabilities with targeted foreign opportunities identified by EDC's international sales force. The Senior Associate/Sector Advisor will become the expert of Canadian capabilities within their sector of responsibility; will have a strong understanding of Canadian companies' product offering and technical capabilities, competitive advantages, export markets of interest and where these Canadian capabilities fit within targeted foreign company global value chains. The sector of responsibility for this position is the Agriculture/Agri-Food Sector.
The Senior Associate/Sector Advisor is accountable for gathering sector intelligence, develop strategies, establish and maintain relationships with Canadian sector associations/partners, participate in sector events, organize matchmaking, and provide recommendations based on the findings to advance and support the domestic and international sales force. The Senior Associate/Sector Advisor will be supported by Sector Associates and/or Senior Associates.
- Creates business development opportunities for Canadian small, mid-sized and large enterprises across a spectrum of industry sectors.
- Locates, evaluates and identifies customers, buyers and qualified leads to ensure a substantive opportunity pipeline.
- Gathers and shares sector intelligence through external interactions with exporters, sector associations and buyers to develop new trade creation opportunities and new services/products customized to clients' needs.
- Promotes and sells a portfolio of financial products, services and/or solutions to current and new end customers.
- In collaboration with EDC's sales force, builds and maintains relationships with Canadian companies ranging from small businesses to major strategic customers within an industry focus.
- Builds and maintains effective long-term relationships with key partners/industry associations in Canada.
- Builds in-depth knowledge of Canadian companies in their respective sectors of responsibility by understanding Canadian companies' business plan, foreign market of interest, technical capabilities, product offering and competitive advantages and overall fit within targeted foreign company global value chains.
- In collaboration with internal and external stakeholders, builds effective relationships with targeted foreign companies with the goal to promote Canadian Capabilities and integrate them in their Global Value Chains.
- Identifies, creates and develops new business opportunities with both current and potential clients and partners.
- Supports internal stakeholders during the approval process of Trade Creation mandates.
- Engagement with key industry associations in Canada.
- Gathers and shares market intelligence across various sectors through internal and external interactions like buyers, banks, exporters and sector associations to identify new trade creation opportunities
- May attend conferences and matchmaking events, travel, make presentations, network and generate business leads.
- In addition to the above responsibilities:
- Champions the internal approval process of Trade Creation mandates
- Generation of new trade creation ideas related to Mandate, Products and Services as well as general continuous improvement initiatives.
- Take a lead role in the responsibilities listed above and perform them at an advanced/expert level
- Provide oversight and coaching to more junior employees
- Be expected to independently manage the non-standard requests that come to the team
- Undergraduate Degree in business administration, finance or in a relevant technical discipline
- Minimum of 2 years (Business Development, level 2) or 5 years (Business Development, level 3) of business development experience in international business and/or financial services
- Working knowledge of agriculture/agri-food global supply chains and international procurement practices
- Working knowledge of best practices in sales and/or account management
- Bilingual in both official languages (French and English)
- Experience or knowledge of the agriculture/agri-food sector
- Business Development, level 2: $73,000 - $109,000
- Business Development, level 3: $86,000 - $128,000
- **Please note that we will consider candidates at the Business Development, level 2 to Business Development, level 3, depending on the incumbent's qualifications**
How to apply
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application deadline: February 16, 2018, 11:59 p.m. EST on www.edc.ca/careers
EDC is committed to employment equity and actively encourages applications from women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities.
If selected for an interview, please advise us if you require special accommodation.
Candidates must meet the requisite government security screening requirements.