Project Portfolio Manager (PPM)
EDC is Canada's export credit agency, offering information, knowledge and innovative commercial solutions to help Canadian exporters and investors expand their international business. EDC's knowledge and partnerships are used by more than 10,000 Canadian companies and their global customers in up to 200 markets worldwide each year. In 2018, EDC has been recognized as a Top 100 Employer and a Top Family-Friendly Employer.
EDC is financially self-sustaining, and is a recognized leader in financial reporting and economic analysis.
Team & Job Overview
Reporting to the Director, Project Portfolio Management, this senior role is accountable to work with Senior Project Portfolio Managers (SPPM) in support of developing, maintain and manage the relationship with designated SVP groups. The PPM will l support and drive the creation, prioritization, planning, and benefits management of the LOB's portfolio leveraging industry and EDC standards for Project Portfolio Management. The PPM will be responsible to move projects from the portfolio pipeline into the Solution Delivery Value Stream (SDVS). The role works closely with and ensures the right connections happen between business partners, corporate strategy, enterprise architecture, solution architecture, strategic program office, BTS, corporate finance and compliance functions required to execute an LOB's portfolio of projects and programs. To ensure effective planning and manage complexity, the incumbent will be a key point of contact for their designated LOBs concerning the Project Portfolio or any other related services.
- Plans, monitors and manages portfolio of projects and programs;
- Understands capacity requirements and uses formal project/program management processes and tools to manage resources, budgets, risks, schedules and changes at the portfolio level;
- Incumbents will work hand-in-hand with Senior Project Portfolio Managers and other members of the team to manage large portfolios for various lines of business at EDC.
- Facilitation of the portfolio planning sessions to establish scope, assumptions, constraints, deliverables, interim milestones, work breakdown structure and timelines according to established project level category;
- Ensures project/programs/products with strategy, prioritization, and resources management across the EDC/Line of Business project portfolio;
- Provides point of escalation, supports/guide business leads to plan, manage, deliver and measure benefits of change initiatives;
- Works with various stakeholders to complete business planning aligned to EDC/LOB strategic objectives, portfolio prioritization and selection, portfolio risk management, resource planning and value assessment/benefits realization;
- Typically, incumbents in this discipline are working towards or have achieved certification in program management and/or portfolio management;
- Acts as a Subject Matter Expert not only in project portfolio program management, but also financial analysis, business planning, reporting/communication and stakeholder management;
- Co-lead or lead exercises in planning and tracking to ensure timely and accurate resource allocation reporting;
- Ensure alignment to organizational intake, prioritization, allocation, and delivery frameworks. Influence adoption and positive change in others with respect to delivery, portfolio, and program management, while balancing and adapting to EDC priorities;
- Categorizes and maintains up to date project portfolio pipeline, aligning projects/programs with corporate/LOB strategy, prioritization, and resource management across the portfolios;
- Completes high level estimates (Class C+) to support budget planning (18-month view);
- Ensure dependencies and risks within and outside of the portfolio are managed;
- Supports business leaders to complete value assessment and benefits realization checks for portfolio initiatives;
- Uses approved project portfolio management standards, processes and EDC system of record tools for PPM discipline;
- Summarize and report out on overall roadmap and portfolio, including status of key priorities, upcoming asks and scoping, capacity management, and portfolio risks/issues/trade-offs.
- Undergraduate Degree in Business Administration, Computer Science, or in a related field
- Minimum 5 years of experience in program management and/or project management
- Advanced knowledge of project portfolio management principles and practices
- Working experience using Microsoft Project Server 2010
Skills and knowledge
- Ability to interact and influence executives and senior leaders across EDC;
- Program management and SDLC lifecycle experience, project delivery methods waterfall/ agile methodologies and Lean /continuous improvement concepts and application;
- A self-starter with strong motivation, teamwork and problem-solving skills;
- Strong consulting skills (facilitation, influencing, diagnosis, conflict resolution, negotiation) with ability to drive collaboration with executives, business and technical team to achieve effective solutions;
- Ability to size and estimate initiatives (top down estimation approaches);
- Strong facilitation, problem solving and communication skills;
- Flexible and resilient, comfortable with ambiguity, adaptable to a high-change environment and open to new concepts and/or processes;
- Conflict resolution and negotiations skills to resolve disagreements quickly and effectively, bringing a problem-solving attitude to conflicting approaches and priorities involving others;
- Ability to think strategically and bring together key stakeholders from across the organization to execute effective project portfolio problem solving and achieve optimal investment decisions and outcomes.
- Experience in portfolio management, including strategy, finance, and value stream management
- PfMP and/or PMP designation
- Bilingual in both official languages (French and English)
- SharePoint 2010 / Excel 2010 / Power Pivot
- Strong computer skills (Word, Visio, Excel, Adobe Acrobat, Webex and PowerPoint)
- $73,000 - $109,000 + performance-based incentive
- Please be advised that this position is based at our Head Office in Ottawa.
- Relocation assistance is available for eligible candidates.
How to apply
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application deadline: January 18, 2019, 11:59 p.m. EST on www.edc.ca/careers
EDC is committed to employment equity and actively encourages applications from women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities. If selected for an interview, please advise us if you require special accommodation.
Candidates must meet the requisite government security screening requirements.