Legal Counsel - Transactional Solutions, Finance
EDC is Canada's export credit agency, offering information, knowledge and innovative commercial solutions to help Canadian exporters and investors expand their international business. EDC's knowledge and partnerships are used by more than 10,000 Canadian companies and their global customers in up to 200 markets worldwide each year. In 2017, EDC has been recognized as a Top 100 Employer and a Top Family-Friendly Employer.
EDC is financially self-sustaining, and is a recognized leader in financial reporting and economic analysis.
EDC is seeking a team and solution-oriented corporate, commercial lawyer to join its Legal Services division of approximately 25 lawyers who provide a wide range of legal services to the Corporation.
EDC's Legal Services is a dynamic, client-oriented environment, and is committed to ensuring that all lawyers have an understanding of the various business areas of the Corporation, for both transactional and corporate functions. The transactional activities serviced by Legal Services include commercial and sovereign loans, secured and unsecured loans, guarantees, participations in syndicated transactions, project and structured finance, equity, treasury, note and receivable purchases, debt restructuring, recovery matters, credit insurance, political risk insurance, bonding, claims and recoveries. The corporate functions include procurement, corporate banking, compliance, etc.
The successful candidate will provide advice to the Corporation primarily in relation to its activities in the areas of corporate financing (commercial and sovereign loans, secured and unsecured loans, guarantees, participations in syndicated transactions, note and receivable purchases), with development opportunities across other business lines (insurance, equity etc.).
- Provides legal advice and services on issues concerning the rights, obligations and privileges of the organization;
- Represents the organization to a variety of stakeholders such as customers, external counsel, suppliers, Government and Crown bodies, financial institutions and multi-lateral agencies;
- Provides resolution of business or technical issues by identifying legal solutions and recommending a course of action;
- Examines legal data to determine advisability of initiatives or solutions and provides a full range of legal advice and services as a generalist or in a combination of legal disciplines (e.g. transactions, commercial, contract, corporate, financings, insurance, guarantees);
- Reviews, drafts, negotiates and monitors a broad range of commercial contracts ensuring they are in compliance with legal, regulatory and organizational policies;
- Assesses legal and commercial risk of contracts;
- Studies and interprets statutes, decisions and regulations affecting the organization to determine appropriate plan of action.
- The responsibilities for this position relate to a variety of tasks representing transaction and non-transactional work, as well as knowledge and relationship management.
- Key responsibilities would include the following, but lawyers are expected to handle a broad range of business needs that may not be fully summarized below:
- Involvement in all aspects of the transaction from the development and structuring of the transaction to the negotiation and documenting of the transaction;
- Provides customized solutions to a variety of moderately complex issues and problems, drafting standards and moderately complex legal documentation;
- Identifies issues in file work requiring consideration of appropriate risk mitigation measures and corporate perspective and knowledge;
- Reviews and comments on outside counsel's documents and advice, relating to transactions in which the Corporation is or proposes to become involved;
- Participates where appropriate in the development and documenting of internal policy and guidelines vis a vis corporate products and positions i.e., environment, disclosure, anti-corruption, etc.;
- Provides legal opinions on various matters of law pertaining to the activities of the Corporation, such as on rights and obligations under contracts entered into by the Corporation, interpreting internal documentation and policies in areas of specialty, advising on authorization and compliance requirements, including interpreting the Export Development Act, the Financial Administration Act and other relevant statutes;
- Supports the Corporation with a proactive and preventive lawyering approach by (i) providing training, assisting and participating in in-house seminars and developing master documentation and (ii) keeping abreast of relevant legislation and case law.
- Completed an Undergraduate Degree in Law or in a related field
- Member of the Bar of a Canadian province or territory and in good standing to practice law as a barrister and solicitor
- Minimum of 2 to 5 years relevant experience in legal services related to commercial financing/banking experience
- Working knowledge of legal services principles and practices
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal), including strong drafting skills
- General knowledge of the business aspects of financing transactions including financial terms
- Preference will be given to bilingual candidates (English & French)
- Experience in project finance would be an asset
- $73,000 – $109,000 + performance-based incentive
How to apply
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application deadline: October 12, 2018, 11:59 p.m. EST on www.edc.ca/careers
EDC is committed to employment equity and actively encourages applications from women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities. If selected for an interview, please advise us if you require special accommodation.
Candidates must meet the requisite government security screening requirements.