Financial Analyst - Corporate Finance and Controls
EDC is Canada's export credit agency, offering information, knowledge and innovative commercial solutions to help Canadian exporters and investors expand their international business. EDC's knowledge and partnerships are used by more than 10,000 Canadian companies and their global customers in up to 200 markets worldwide each year. In 2017, EDC has been recognized as a Top 100 Employer and a Top Family-Friendly Employer.
EDC is financially self-sustaining, and is a recognized leader in financial reporting and economic analysis.
Corporate Finance and Controls group provides planning, financial analysis, reporting under IFRS and various other activities for EDC. The group is looking for innovative people interested in changing status-quo for the betterment of this fast-moving organization. Two teams within the group are currently looking for financial analysts:
The Corporate Accounting, Loans team is a dynamic team, interacting with many groups in the organization, focusing on understanding the business results in order to provide value to our internal customers. As a team, we provide reporting and analysis related to the loan portfolio, which is EDC's largest. The successful candidate will be expected to understand the accounting, the drivers and the results of the business in order to provide value added insights to the team's internal customers. Additionally, the role will be involved in a wide range of duties and involve elaborate interactions with multiple information systems, all within a highly collaborative environment.
The Financial Reporting team interacts with many groups in the organization in fulfilling its responsibilities for financial reporting, taxation compliance, and as the centre of excellence for our accounting and reporting systems. These responsibilities include internal controls over financial reporting, adherence to international financial reporting standards, governance of our incentive program, and compliance with regulatory requirements. The successful candidate will be expected to have a solid understanding of controls, an eye for details and the ability to analyze financial results to provide insights to management. The role will also include leveraging our financial systems to develop and improve both internal and external reporting.
- Establishes and maintains accounting policies and controls, fiscal controls, prepares financial reports and safeguards the organization's assets.
- Performs general accounting activities and maintains accounting and financial records and reports, including general ledger, financial statements, regulatory and management reports.
- Prepares, analyzes and reports accounting transactions ensuring the integrity of accounting records for completeness, accuracy and compliance with accepted accounting policies and principles.
- Provides financial support including forecasting, budgeting, and analyzing variations from budget
- Ensures all reports and disclosures comply with applicable government regulations, professional standards and organization policies.
- Provides accounting guidance to ensure conformity with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and company policies and procedures and ensures that relevant accounting standards are appropriately and consistently applied.
- Develops and implements new policies and processes to comply with newly issued accounting or financial reporting standards.
- Provides financial accounting and prepares financial statements and reports in accordance with IFRS and approves journal entries and reconciliations.
- Provides complex financial analysis and modeling to support decision making and prepares data and input for forecasting and corporate planning purposes.
- Provides advice on internal control issues and recommends and implements reporting enhancements.
- Researches and interprets new accounting standards/guidelines to assess potential impacts on financial reporting and accounting activities.
- May prepare management discussion and analysis sections of the annual report.
- Explains difficult/complex issues and, in a manner that fosters mutual respect, uses tact and diplomacy to persuade others to adopt a point of view.
- Reaches beyond received data to review and analyze results from business lines with a critical eye for meeting financial reporting requirements and a willingness to challenge others as needed.
- Participates in various system implementation projects, including consulting, recommending and implementing reporting requirements.
- Performs verification and testing of results and new system reports.
- Undergraduate Degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Commerce or other relevant discipline
- Professional accounting designation such as CPA or equivalent
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in business, accounting and/or financial analysis
- Advanced knowledge of IFRS and accounting and financial analysis principles and practices
- Excellent MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint capabilities and strong ability to work with complex databases
- Bilingual in both official languages (French and English)
- Experience in the financial sector
- Experience with researching, providing recommendations and drafting memorandums on accounting standards
- Ability to prepare and present complex quantitative and qualitative financial analysis in clear and concise manner
- Experience in auditing financial transactions
- Ability to write VBA Macros
- Experience with Cognos Disclosure Management, PeopleSoft Financials and TM1 reporting systems
- Previous experience in taxation
Financial Analyst: $62,000 – $92,000 + performance-based incentive
How to apply
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application deadline: January 4, 2019 11:59 p.m. EST on www.edc.ca/careers
EDC is committed to employment equity and actively encourages applications from women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities. If selected for an interview, please advise us if you require special accommodation.
Candidates must meet the requisite government security screening requirements.