Associate, Investments - FinDev Canada
In January 2018, a new Canadian Development Finance Institution ("DFI"), operating as FinDev Canada, was established. Headquartered in Montreal, Quebec, FinDev Canada is a subsidiary of Export Development Canada ("EDC"), Canada's export credit agency. FinDev Canada operates under a distinct mandate to achieve clear development objectives by supporting private sector companies in Latin America, the Caribbean and Sub-Sahara Africa with a range of financing solutions including debt, equity and guarantees.
This is a unique opportunity to join a small but growing team of highly talented professionals whose mission is to help create sustainable and impactful projects through a successful, ground breaking organization whose activities will contribute to changing people's lives in developing countries.
FinDev Canada is seeking a financial professional to be an important contributor to the Investments Team. The ideal candidate will have up to two years of work experience in private equity, corporate finance and related fields, and accordingly will have knowledge of the asset classes, its participants and practices, as well as direct experience assisting senior team members with originating, executing, managing and exiting investments. The successful candidate will also need to work collaboratively with other business units to help achieve the overall business objectives within the context of the Investment team.
The position is located in Montreal, QC and the individual will report to the Chief Investment Officer.
- Develops and utilizes financial models for valuation, risk assessment and cash flow profiling purposes;
- Researches and develops views on industry (including financial markets) and technology trends;
- Learns to evaluate the management of portfolio companies and provides support to Investment Managers in monitoring the performance of portfolio companies, including assessing competitive threats and opportunities;
- Develops familiarity with term sheet provisions and gains exposure to the negotiation of term sheets and the drafting of investment proposals;
- Participates in industry events, including venture fairs, association events, etc.
- Completion of an MBA or combination of education and experience
- Up to 2 years of work experience in private equity, corporate finance, investment banking or similar
- Bilingualism in both official languages (English and French)
- CFA designation completed or in progress
- Experience in emerging market experience
- International and/or commercial banking experience
- Excellent financial analysis, credit and modeling skills, and ability to read and understand business plans.
- Experience in one or more of the following sectors: Renewable energy and Climate Finance, Infrastructure, agribusiness valuechain, Financial Intermediaries in developing markets
- Intermediate-level Spanish
- This position is based in Montreal, QC and could involve travel to Ottawa and internationally.
- $73,000 - $109,000 + performance-based incentive
How to apply
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application deadline: February 22, 2019, 11:59 p.m. EST on www.edc.ca/careers
EDC is committed to employment equity and actively encourages applications from women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities. If selected for an interview, please advise us if you require special accommodation.
Candidates must meet the requisite government security screening requirements.