Associate / Senior Associate, Structured and Project Finance
EDC is Canada's export credit agency, offering innovative commercial solutions to help Canadian exporters and investors expand their international business. EDC's knowledge and partnerships are used by more than 9,000 Canadian companies and their global customers in up to 200 markets worldwide each year.
EDC is financially self-sustaining, and is a recognized leader in financial reporting and economic analysis.
EDC's Structured and Project Finance Team, which is one of the largest in Canada, is a significant player in global project and infrastructure finance. Since its establishment in 1995, EDC's Structured and Project Finance Team has closed over 410 financing transactions globally, accounting for financings in excess of USD 29.0 billion. Project Finance is a specialized field of finance, in which financing decisions are based upon project-specific cash flow and assets. Generally speaking, Project Finance transactions tend to be complex, requiring a longer and steeper learning curve, relative to other forms of finance. Project Finance is used extensively in a variety of industries, including energy, infrastructure, renewables, mining, oil & gas and telecom. Counterparties to EDC's Project Finance transactions include top-tier international Sponsors, Exporters, Law firms and international Project Finance and Investment Banks.
The Project Finance Associate Program (PFAP) is unique in Canada in the field of Project Finance. A combination of structured and hands-on training immerses participants in Project Finance fundamentals and transactions over, approximately, a 24 month period. Associates are given regular feedback on their performance and progress during the PFAP. The overall aim of the PFAP is to develop transactors capable of originating, structuring, negotiating and closing complex financing transactions.
The structured training portion provides insight into Project Finance markets, advanced financial modeling techniques, basic credit analysis and structuring principles through basic readings, casework, in-class presentations and industry modules. Associates will work closely in a support role with experienced professionals, on complex international financing transactions, across a variety of industries. During this time, Associates receive practical exposure to financial modeling and sensitivity analysis, credit structuring, due diligence techniques, legal documentation, and interaction with clients, sponsors, advisors and co-financiers. Over time, upon successful demonstration of proficiency in requisite skills, Associates will be expected to take on increasingly independent roles on transactions and develop into fully functional transactors.
- Conducts financial analysis; manipulates and constructs detailed cash flow models
- Benchmarks model assumptions through industry research and competitive analysis of comparable projects
- Contributes as the junior member of a deal team to due diligence on and analysis of complex limited recourse project finance loan transactions
- Prepares portions of the credit write up
- Participates in the review and mark up of extensive transaction documentation with legal counsel
- Engages with relevant internal and external interfaces in a professional manner throughout transaction execution
- Works with senior project finance staff in tracking market opportunities, and conducting research and analysis supporting the development of financing proposals
- Assisting in managing the portfolio throughout the life of the transactions
- MBA graduate/Master’s degree with a focus on finance or related field
- Minimum of 2 years for the Associate level and 5 years for the Senior Associate level, of relevant work experience in a related field such as project finance, investment banking or corporate banking, or in a finance role within an industry suitable to project financing, such as mining, energy and infrastructure
Skills & Knowledge
- Strong financial modeling skills; fluidity with spreadsheet applications
- Ability to source and manipulate information from financial databases such as Bloomberg or Capital IQ
- Willingness to work extended hours on occasion, as dictated by business needs
- Strong team player and demonstrate leadership qualities
- Excellent communication (written, verbal, presentation) and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of credit and capital markets
- Knowledge of either of telecom, media, oil & gas, power, mining or infrastructure sectors
- Enrolment in the CFA program
- Ability to communicate in both official languages, as well as other key international trading market languages
Associate: $73,000 - $93,000 + performance-based incentive
Senior Associate: $86,000 - $107,000 + performance-based incentive
*We will consider candidates at the Associate or the Senior Associate level, depending on the incumbent's qualifications.*
How to apply
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application deadline: August 3, 2018, 11:59 p.m. EST on www.edc.ca/careers
EDC is committed to employment equity and actively encourages applications from women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities. If selected for an interview, please advise us if you require special accommodation.
Candidates must meet the requisite government security screening requirements.