Analyst/Senior Analyst, IFD - Western Region (Vancouver)
EDC is Canada's export credit agency, offering information, knowledge and innovative commercial solutions to help Canadian exporters and investors expand their international business. EDC's knowledge and partnerships are used by more than 9,000 Canadian companies and their global customers in up to 200 markets worldwide each year. In 2017, EDC has been recognized as a Top 100 Employer and a Top Family-Friendly Employer.
EDC is financially self-sustaining, and is a recognized leader in financial reporting and economic analysis.
Team & Job Overview
Export Development Canada's (EDC) Financing & Investments Group provides financing solutions in support of Canadian exports and foreign investments to:
- Canadian exporters and their foreign customers;
- Canadian investors and their foreign affiliates; and
- Financial institutions.
Within Financing & Investments, the International Financing, Direct team is seeking a financing professional with experience in commercial credit analysis, term loan structuring, documentation and portfolio management.
With the customer's need always in view and in close collaboration with EDC's Business Development, Legal Services, Corporate Responsibility Groups, plus our external banking partners both domestically and internationally, the successful candidate will be relied upon to understand the customer's needs, underwrite financing solutions which addresses those needs, assess the credit risk and recommend risk mitigation strategies as appropriate to achieve the optimal balance between customer-centricity and EDC's business requirements.
We are looking for a dynamic, motivated and commercial lending professional who will actively participate in the attainment of team's objectives through the structuring and delivery of financing solutions that support the specific product and service needs of the small and mid-market (SME) business segment.
- Works in collaboration with business development (CMSB), customers, foreign buyers, financial institutions and other organizations to secure financing;
- Supports the Deal Lead/Deal Advisor in delivering financing solutions (defined broadly to include loan and other financial structures) that support the specific product and service needs of customers ranging from small to mid-sized enterprises;
- Analyzes the needs of customers and transaction delivery processes to suggest the best financial tool to meet the need;
- Assesses the risk of proposed solutions and supports appropriate transaction pricing strategies;
- Assists the business development teams with on-going customer service throughout the transaction process;
- Supports the Deal Lead/Deal Advisor in negotiating changes to the terms and structure of existing transactions and recommends these by assessing the risk of proposed solutions and establishing appropriate transaction pricing;
- Conducts regular risk analysis and credit reviews of loan transactions.
- With oversight, works as part of a team on financing transactions and contributes to the management of a proportionate share of transactions.
- Learns about financing issues and general lending/underwriting practices.
- Works closely with other team members and Legal Services to support the drafting and/or review of transaction documents.
- Conducts supporting due diligence and necessary analysis to establish the creditworthiness of the borrower or relevant counter party.
- Supports account management function in managing customer expectations at various stages of the process.
- Ensures discipline around data integrity.
- In accordance with the principles of LEAN, identifies opportunities for improvement, solves problems, participate in ongoing brainstorming and Continuous Improvement alignment meetings.
- Contribute to ad hoc projects related to process and other improvements at the product and sector level.
- Applies knowledge of financing issues and general lending/underwriting practices to manage proportionate share of transactions/customer portfolio;
- Assesses / mitigates transaction risks on basic transactions and portfolios;
- Understands financing issues, financial markets terminology and general lending/underwriting practices and, with moderate supervision, applies this knowledge to the risk underwriting and mitigation process;
- Supports the preparation of transaction and credit material, for presentation to appropriate DoA;
- Contributes to the negotiation strategy and understands the negotiating position of the counter parties;
- Working closely with Legal Services, supports the drafting and/or review of transaction documents to deliver products for transactions;
- Supports account management function in managing customer expectations at various stages of the process;
- In accordance with the principles of LEAN, identifies opportunities for improvement, solves problems, and participates in participate in ongoing brainstorming and Continuous Improvement alignment meetings. Contribute to ad hoc projects related to process and other improvements at the product and sector level.
- Completed an Undergraduate Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or in a related field;
- 0-2 years (Analyst) or a minimum of 2 years'(Senior Analyst) experience in financial services;
- Basic knowledge of structuring/restructuring in commercial lending and/or loan portfolio management.
- Bilingual in both official languages (French and English)
- Professional designation (CFA, MBA, CPA or equivalent)
Skills & Knowledge
- Experience in financial analysis, credit and modeling skills
- Strong communication skills (written, verbal, presentation)
- Project management and organizational skills
- Knowledge of financial markets and products
- Knowledge of international business practices and international trade
- Understanding of EDC's credit risk standards and practices
- Analyst: $62,000 - $92,000, plus performance-based incentive
- Senior Analyst: $73,000 - $109,000, plus performance-based incentive
How to apply
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application deadline: June 22, 2018, 11:59 p.m. EST on www.edc.ca/careers
EDC is committed to employment equity and actively encourages applications from women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities. If selected for an interview, please advise us if you require special accommodation.
Candidates must meet the requisite government security screening requirements.