Advisor, Internal Communications
EDC is Canada's export credit agency, offering information, knowledge and innovative commercial solutions to help Canadian exporters and investors expand their international business. EDC's knowledge and partnerships are used by more than 10,000 Canadian companies and their global customers in up to 200 markets worldwide each year. In 2018, EDC has been recognized as a Top 100 Employer and a Top Family-Friendly Employer.
EDC is financially self-sustaining, and is a recognized leader in financial reporting and economic analysis.
Understand the importance of corporate communications as an integral component of business success? Passionate about bringing organizations together to share knowledge, fuel innovation and foster a positive working culture? Then we want to hear from you. The Advisor – Communications is responsible for developing and implementing strategic internal communications plans, focusing on enhancing existing corporate programs and developing new initiatives.
- Communications Planning and Support
- Advise and provide support to management, corporate and business teams on internal communications issues and develop communication strategies related to these issues;
- Identify and develop appropriate communications strategies and vehicles to support corporate and business objectives and educate/inform employees;
- Manage the implementation and execution of communications plans and strategies or initiatives/programs/projects for Corporate and business teams to meet goals and inform employees;
- Define client expectations/requirements and measurements for success (ROI);
- Participate in the design and execution of the team's annual corporate communications strategy and plan;
- Partner with team leader and colleagues to ensure that objectives and strategies are met;
- Corporate event management and planning.
- Communications Products
- Develop, produce, write and create corporate communication material for internal initiatives, such as EDC's intranet and other internal publications;
- Develop, produce, write and create corporate communication material for EDC's annual employee conference designed to motivate, inform and educate employees on corporate issues and programs;
- Assume lead role in development of technical specification, development and deployment for each communications product;
- Develop and implement innovative solutions to internal clients;
- These projects may include a variety of mediums such as print, publications, executive memos to employees, video productions, speeches, scripts, and/or intranet publications, targeting a variety of internal audiences. Responsibilities would include:
- Research, and write materials to reflect key corporate messages for distribution to managers and employees through a variety of mediums
- Prepare and manage project budgets, timeline and scope
- Prepare work schedules, critical paths, and manage to strict deadlines
- Oversee/manage production team (internal or external) assigned to each project to meet client goals including designers, writers, illustrators, videographers, photographers and technical crews
- Coordinate feedback and approvals from internal clients, experts and executive sponsors
- Provide measurement and ROI on each product
- Oversee distribution to target audiences
- Research and Measurement
- Conduct research and analysis of communication environment and audience needs;
- Participate in the design and execution of the team's annual corporate communication strategy and plan;
- Identify opportunities for process improvement initiatives and service enhancements, including new or improved communications products;
- Benchmark communications tools, products and vehicles.
- Screening criteria
- Post-secondary degree in communications, journalism or in a business discipline with a significant communications component of study, or acceptable and equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Minimum of 4 years of progressive experience in communications marketing, public relations or related field
Skills and knowledge
- Superior writing and editing skills
- Experience working and thriving in a team environment
- Experience writing in a wide variety of media and styles, such as newsletters, speeches, biographies, audio-visual material, web-based text
- Experience in Employee / Internal Communications
- Highly organized and an ability to work independently, while managing multiple projects and priorities within strict deadlines
- Experience in project management in a range of media covering all phases of production
- Experience handling sensitive issues or working in a crisis communications environment
- Experienced in event planning
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to present to senior staff
- Demonstrated analytical, problem-solving and organizational skills, in addition to the ability to manage competing priorities
- Sound judgment
- Creativity, enthusiasm, flexibility, and a strong commitment to working within a team environment
- Proven ability to quickly grasp and assimilate complex corporate and technical material and communicate effectively to a general audience
- Strong computer skills: Microsoft office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook)
- Bilingualism in both official languages (English and French)
$62,000 - $92,000, plus performance-based incentive
Please be advised that this position is based at our Head Office in Ottawa. Relocation assistance is available for eligible candidates.
How to apply
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application deadline: February 22, 2019, 11:59 p.m. EST on www.edc.ca/careers
EDC is committed to employment equity and actively encourages applications from women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities. If selected for an interview, please advise us if you require special accommodation.
Candidates must meet the requisite government security screening requirements.