Community Organizer / Coordinator
Hello... Is it me you’re looking for?
Do you have a passion for social justice and a commitment to ending poverty, inequality, discrimination in the world? When faced with a seemingly insurmountable challenge, is your first instinct to start organizing people because you know that’s the only way it’s ever going to be solved? Are you usually the one to organize activities on campus or in your community, and convince your friends and family to attend? Do you get excited by snowflake models, barnstorms, and distributed organizing? Are you hungry for large-scale systems change that goes beyond online petitions and conscious consumption? If you think that’s you, please apply for this position!
Engineers Without Borders (EWB) Canada is looking for an energetic, creative and resourceful community organizer to grow, strengthen and mobilize our young, vibrant and thoughtful community of 1,600 active members and 40,000 alumni, supporters and fellows across Canada and in Africa, who are driven to help transform economic systems to end poverty and inequality. Through its community programmes, hundreds of young leaders across Canada build their leadership capacities, connect with their peers across the country, and lead campaigns to create more sustainable and inclusive economies.
EWB Canada brings people and ideas together to tackle the most crucial causes of poverty and inequality. We do this by developing systems change leaders, investing in early-stage social enterprises in sub-Saharan Africa, and advocating for change. Our work is founded on our values of asking tough questions, addressing root causes, investing in people, striving for humility, dreaming big and working hard, and courageously committing.
Reporting to the Director of Community, and working closely with a high-performing team, specific responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Strengthen, mobilize and grow EWB’s network of members through in-person engagement, recruitment and ongoing support
- Build knowledge, skills and leadership capacities of members by facilitating workshops and through online learning
- Create transformative and inclusive spaces for members to learn, connect and take action by organizing chapter visits, regional retreats and national conferences
- Support member engagement and participation in campaigns by sharing materials, tools and resources
- Launch new chapters by marketing EWB, its campaigns and its membership offering to a variety of external audiences, including university deans
- Support monitoring, reporting, financial management, and related administrative requirements.
- This position involves significant travel across Canada to chapters, campaign locations, or conferences
As a member of EWB’s Community Team, your work will contribute directly to building a thriving community of informed, engaged and activated young leaders across Canada who have the skills, knowledge and leadership capacities to lead organized actions in their communities, provinces and at the national level, to create a more sustainable and inclusive economy.
Who You Are
You are grounded in community organizing principles, able to establish relationships, trust, and communicate the value and principles of the organization. You are passionate and driven, genuinely love people, are committed to results and are able to adapt to changing circumstances. You don’t take yourself too seriously, work hard and can be counted on by your team to do as you say and say as you do. You will be able to be grounded in your commitment, cultivate leadership of others, and inspire them to take on actions towards EWB’s mission.
To be successful in this role, the following experiences, skills and knowledge will help:
- 2-3 years of relevant professional or volunteer experience mobilizing students, volunteers or communities to achieve strategic objectives
- Familiarity with techniques, strategies, tactics and practices in distributed organizing
- Interest in and knowledge of issues of international development and systems thinking
- Experience working with EWB or similar organizations is an asset
- Familiarity with digital engagement tools (eg. Pardot, Every Action) and CRM software (eg. Salesforce) is an asset
- Passion for organizing, mentoring, coaching and supporting volunteers
- Skilled public speaker and facilitator, and an excellent communicator
- Curiosity and humility, with an openness to feedback and coaching
- Taking initiative, ability to work independently and seeking out creative solutions to challenges
- Bilingualism (French and English) is an asset.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
Salary is in accordance with EWB’s organizational compensation policy and commensurate with experience. All employees are provided with a comprehensive benefits package, including health and dental insurance, professional development, flexible working arrangements, technology and cell phone allowance, and three weeks of vacation each year.
In your application, please include a cover letter and resume. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the right candidate is found.
In your cover letter, show us your commitment and passion - we want to know that you are not a robot. Tell us about what drives you to make change in the world, and how your experience and specific track record makes you the right person for this job.
EWB is committed to gender equality in everything we do and how we do it. We acknowledge that women, girls, and gender non-conforming persons, face discrimination at a systemic and individual level, and encounter greater barriers, particularly with the intersectionality of race, ethnicity, disability and class. We embrace diversity and multiculturalism, and are committed to providing an inclusive, barrier and discrimination-free work environment.
What’s it like to work at EWB?
EWB is a thoughtful, high-performing and collaborative work environment. We have over 25 staff members working out of our Toronto-based office and many more based around Canada and in Africa. Our office culture is one of passion, entrepreneurship, pragmatism, thoughtfulness, dedication and hard work. We have a strong commitment to excellence and achieving results. Our leaders, staff, and volunteers are generally young; this manifests in our dynamic and positive outlook. We blend a passion to change the world with pragmatism.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until we find the right person.
Please use link below to apply for position.