Development Officer, Philanthropy
Since 1991, Evergreen, a not-for-profit, has provoked bold action in transforming public landscapes into thriving community spaces. We believe that connecting people, natural and built worlds create flourishing cities for the future. For more than 25 years Evergreen has connected, collaborated, and catalyzed Canadians to do amazing things positively affecting attitudes and behaviours that lie at the core of a sustainable city. For more information visit www.evergreen.ca
Are you a curious and proactive fundraiser who understands how to motivate donors? Join our growing team of fundraisers at Evergreen and help create a best in class approach for our annual donors.
The Development Officer will be responsible for growing the annual fund at Evergreen, through campaigns and mid-level giving. The successful candidate will have strong copywriting, communication and project management skills; and be both a strategic and creative thinker and doer with a passion for urban sustainability, and have the confidence to collaborate effectively with program delivery colleagues, external partners and senior leaders.
- Develop and execute an annual giving strategy, focusing on individual donors and monthly donors, and including a recognition and renewal plan for all
- Actively engage donors and prospects through face-to-face and telephone interactions to cultivate, close and steward gifts
- Help identify donor prospects through the pipeline process
- Management of third party fundraising relationships and associated tasks
- Management and execution of the annual campaigns, including the Holiday appeal
- Collaborate with the Development team to design and execute stewardship events
- Support the development of the annual engagement calendar as well and donor and prospect engagement materials
- Ensure accurate activity tracking comprehensively documented in Raiser’s Edge
- Represent Evergreen at local fundraising and public awareness events
- Provide fundraising support to senior fundraisers and Management team as needed in times of heavy activity
- Prepare regular Impact Reports for monthly & mid-level donors
- Identify opportunities to grow the annual program by analyzing market opportunities and donor trends
- Support the annual planning and strategy setting for the philanthropy team
- Attention to detail. Does not let important details slip through the cracks.
- Communication. Speak, listen and write in a clear, confident, respectful, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Customer-focus. Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external customers/donors to meet or exceed their expectations and receives positive feedback from internal and external customers/donors.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency. Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Cope effectively with complexity and change.
- Proactivity/Enthusiasm/Persistence. Act without being told what to do. Passionate and excited over work. Can-do attitude. Tenacious and goes the distance to get something done.
- Supervised by: Senior Manager, Philanthropy (Major Gifts)
- Diploma/bachelor's degree in fundraising, public relations, marketing, management, business or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Demonstrated success in proposal and grant writing
- Very strong people skills; able to interact with a wide variety of individuals including CEOs and high-net worth philanthropists
- Experience in other areas of fundraising an asset
- A familiarity with urban sustainability policy issues an asset
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge would be an asset
- Regular hours, Monday to Friday, occasional evenings and weekends in times of heavy deadlines or events
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted by e-mail to email@example.com.
Please Reference “Development Officer, Philanthropy” in the subject line.
By Mail to Attention: Human Resources
Centre for Green Cities, Suite 300
Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M4W 3X8
Evergreen welcomes applications from persons of diverse backgrounds and is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Evergreen’s Accommodation policy. Applicants, please make your needs known in advance. We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.