Communications and Fundraising Specialist - Imuka Ventures (Uganda)
Role: Communications and Fundraising Specialist
Venture: Imuka Ventures
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Start Date: Training beginning May 7th, departure for placement May 27th, 2018
Duration: 3 weeks of training in Toronto, 12 months in Uganda
This role is with Imuka in Uganda, through Engineers Without Borders Canada (EWB)’s Fellowship program.
About Imuka Ventures
Imuka Ventures is a non-profit social enterprise that believes in the power of entrepreneurship to address issues of poverty, youth unemployment and income disparity in Uganda. Imuka Ventures supports Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) with high growth potential by offering personalized business development services, and acting as an intermediary link to finance providers.
Imuka’s goal is to increase the amount and effectiveness of capacity development services and capital available to entrepreneurs in Uganda. Imuka believes that building a thriving ecosystem of social entrepreneurs is the key to addressing issues of poverty, youth unemployment and income disparity in Uganda.
About Engineers Without Borders Canada (EWB)
Engineers Without Borders Canada (EWB) is a Canadian NGO that invests in people and ventures to create a thriving and sustainable world. Bolstered by its network of 40 chapters and 1300 members, EWB provides seed funding, talent and mentorship to social enterprises throughout Sub-Saharan Africa.
About the EWB Fellows Program
The EWB Fellows Program exists to develop a cadre of Systems Change Leaders by equipping them with the opportunities, competencies and skills needed to build a more thriving and sustainable world. Every year we recruit 25-30 outstanding people for the 12-month Fellowship, placing successful candidates in one of our early-stage Ventures located throughout Sub Saharan Africa. This Fellowship opportunity is with Imuka Ventures and is based in Uganda.
About the role
Imuka is currently developing an impact fund to invest and/or co-invest in prospective local inclusive social businesses that deliver sustainable profit (impact investments).
We are looking to add a communications and fundraising enthusiast to the team, to support our next stage of growth. We are looking for someone with extensive experience in business-to-business and multi-stakeholder marketing and communications, and a willingness to get your hands dirty in a fast-moving social enterprise. The Communications and Fundraising Officer must be a creative, driven, organized, tech-savvy professional with superlative writing and design abilities.
As a Communications and Fundraising Specialist for Imuka Ventures, your responsibilities will include:
- Develop a communication and visibility strategy and support preparation of visibility materials (videos, brochures, newsletters)
- Develop and implement a robust donor and investors communications plan
- Create and maintain all marketing materials, including company & product brochures, website front pages, presentation templates, reports and other collateral
- Manage and expand Imuka Ventures’ content marketing & digital presence (blog, newsletter, social media)
- Research, identify and apply for grants and major donations from philanthropic bodies, government departments, individual donors and the corporate sector
- Attend relevant fundraising forums and groups
- Write and present grant and funding proposals in collaboration with other Imuka staff
- Identify networks in which Imuka ventures leadership can participate to raise the organisation’s profile with donors and investors
- Identify group or individual target donors/investors to participate in Imuka growth fund
- Lead development and implementation of Imuka’s market development and marketing strategy
- Manage lead generation campaigns across platforms to support local sales strategies
Behaviours/ Character Traits:
- Be able and willing to do a diverse set of tasks, applying skills across disciplines
- Have a drive and passion for working with small business that are impact focused
- Have an open mind, be creative, have fun and enjoy new experiences.
Sound exciting? Here’s who we are looking for
Skills & Qualifications
- Ability to think strategically and creatively but execute methodically – eye on the big picture but unflinching attention to detail
- Exceptional writing and design skills – have a real eye for design
- Deep understanding of B2B marketing and communications, ideally in an African context
- Ability to identify and understand different customer segments and craft appropriate messaging
- Great verbal communicator – ability to build relationships with stakeholders at an executive level and to represent Imuka Ventures publicly
- Strong Project Management and organisational skills
- Commitment to Imuka’s mission for scaling and sustaining impactful businesses
- Willingness to engage in robust debate while maintaining deep respect for others
- Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
Qualifications & Experience:
- Significant demonstrated professional experience in marketing and communications - some of this experience must include B2B and a business development and/or marketing component (essential)
- Experience working in entrepreneurial or high-growth environment (essential)
- Ability to explain complex issues in a compelling, concise manner (essential)
- Demonstrated success in securing grants or major donations from philanthropic bodies, government, major donors and the corporate sector would be highly desirable but not required (essential)
- Experience working with Adobe suite, as well as social media and content management platforms (e.g. wordpress etc) (preferred)
- Experience in working in a developing country (preferred)
Please note: You must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or landed immigrant in order to apply. No exceptions.
All costs relating to the placement are either paid for directly by EWB (airfare, insurance, vaccinations, trainings) or indirectly through a living stipend, which covers food, living expenses, local travel, etc. Fellows also receive an honorarium that can be used to assist with repatriation costs that is provided after completion of 12 month contract. The stipend covers basic living expenses for a modest lifestyle in your placement country. It is not likely that you will be able to use the stipend to cover previous expenses (ex. student loans). However, EWB will do its best to support you in extending the non-repayment period on student loans if necessary.
Additionally, EWB offers a range of benefits including insurance, a settlement allowance, professional development opportunities, and more.
Submitting your application for the EWB Fellowship involves two steps:
Step 1: Under the subject line “Communications and Fundraising Officer - Imuka Ventures”, submit your CV/Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 2: Complete the following online application form.
We highly encourage applicants to apply for more than one role as this is a highly competitive program. If you would like to submit your candidacy to more than one role, please fill out separate forms.
Applications will be reviewed, and interviews scheduled on a rolling basis, so please submit your application as soon as possible. If the posting is still on our website, consider the role available.
TalentEgg will send your application to: email@example.com