EF International Language Centres is seeking a friendly, energetic and organized Activities Coordinator to plan and lead excursions at our English language school in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. The Activities department is essential in getting the students involved. The Activities Coordinator will also work closely with the School Director in planning and promoting activities to improve the overall student experience. This is a fantastic opportunity to begin a dynamic and exciting career in international education.
EF Vancouver Island is part of a global network of language schools around the world. With 200+ students from over 25 different countries studying in our Victoria location alone, you are joining a truly diverse and multi-cultural environment as well as a team of passionate professionals dedicated to language learning, travel and cultural exchange.
Reporting to the School Director, the Activities Coordinator wears many different hats throughout the day. The hallmarks of success in this role are communication, flexibility and attention to detail.
Key responsibilities include:
- Planning and executing a variety of student activities on a daily basis appealing to many different demographics (our students are ages 16-85, study 2-52 weeks and hail from 25+ countries). This may include events hosted at the school as well as introducing students to Canadian cultural attractions.
- Constantly marketing and promoting activities to ensure high attendance and strong sales.
- Posting a calendar of activities at least three months in advance.
- Welcoming new customers every Monday morning during weekly student orientation sessions, explaining activity options and sign up process, leading a walking tour to acquaint customers to the area.
- Organizing large, school-wide events and parties along with regular WOW moments - special treats for students such as free giveaways, contests, theme weeks, etc.
- Developing relationships with local businesses and negotiating student discounts.
- Owning the department budget and performing profit/loss calculations on all activities to ensure high profitability. Administer and reconcile daily cash register and credit card transactions.
- Maintaining a detailed inventory of EF branded merchandise and maximizing sales of these items.
- Keeping the school clean and tidy particularly in student lounges, storage rooms and other common areas. Ensure school noticeboards contain neatly arranged, accurate and up-to-date information.
- Managing the school's social media presence including daily postings to Facebook and Instagram pages; collecting photos of student life at EF Vancouver Island to be used for future promotional materials.
- Driving high levels of customer satisfaction as measured by standardized student evaluations forms; pushing for high evaluation return rates and positive Google/Yelp reviews.
- Serving as "Island Insider" and advising students on "go-on-your-own" activities throughout Vancouver Island & the surrounding area.
- Organizing regular day trips and overnight excursions. Arranging hotels, buses, itineraries and staffing.
- Advising student ambassadors to provide input into activity offerings and foster school spirit.
- Creating and supporting intramural clubs for long term students related to sports, special hobbies or professional/academic interests (i.e. weekly soccer meetup, networking sessions, homework club, etc.).
- Collaborating with academic department to create activities that correlate to students' academic journey such as assisting teachers with planning local field trips and coordinating academic info fairs.
- Recruiting a team of summer activity leaders to staff activities in peak season; ensure appropriate staffing for all activities year-round.
- Share emergency phone on-call duties with other school staff on rotating basis.
- Assist with other aspects of school administration as needed such as student safety/welfare, facilities, airport greeting, reception, host family recruitment and school sales.
- Being well-versed on British Columbia & Vancouver Island
- Maintaining professionalism with the student while on activities and in the school.
This is an excellent, full time, entry-level position for the right candidate. Prior experience in hospitality, tourism or customer service is preferred. In addition, candidates must possess:
- Bachelor's Degree
- Amazing presence - the ability to own a room and make people feel right at home as soon as they walk in our doors!
- Strong communication and customer service skills along with the ability to work in a very fast-paced, dynamic environment full of daily surprises.
- Excellent organization and multi-tasking skills plus impeccable attention to detail
- Patience and understanding working with students of all ages and varying English abilities
- Flexibility to quickly adapt to shifting priorities on a regular basis
- A true passion for working across cultures and helping students to discover all that Victoria has to offer.
- Ability to work Monday through Friday, some nights and some weekends
- International travel experience preferred, foreign language abilities not required but a big plus
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Publisher, Excel)
- Social Media experience a plus
About EF Education First
We're 43,500 small. We're teachers and students, creatives and analysts, visionaries and doers. We are 120 nationalities-and counting. Together, we open the world through education, breaking down barriers of language, culture and geography all over the world. Over the past 50 years, our mission has grown to include a diverse range of programs that give millions of students of all ages the freedom and confidence to explore the world through language, travel and academic opportunities. Follow us on LinkedIn or check out http://careers.ef.com to learn more about our amazing team, products, and customers.