Newcomer Wellness / Crisis Counsellor
Newcomer Wellness/ Crisis Counsellor (12 month contract maternity leave)
Newcomer Orientation Program Manager
35 hours per week Start Date January 14th 2019
RATE OF PAY:
$25/hr -$ 27.00/hr
Dixie Bloor Neighbourhood Centre is an accredited, non-profit organization providing support services to residents of Mississauga East including immigrant settlement, employment, parenting, youth, seniors, community dispute resolution and volunteer opportunities.
The Newcomer Wellness Counsellor is responsible to provide timely crisis assessment, evidence-informed crisis intervention, information and referral, and brief supportive counselling to newcomer families, refugees and youth. Clients are newcomers to Canada and may be experiencing emotional distress, PTSD, a mental health crisis, and/or seeking information on available resources.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide evidence-informed crisis intervention and brief supportive counselling to newcomers, refugees and/or youth who are experiencing a crisis
- Manage interactions with clients who encounter problems and crises while adjusting to life in Canada.
- Develop holistic crisis plans and implement crisis management strategies in partnership with clients
- Utilize a resource referral database to provide information and referral assistance to clients
- Provide support and follow-up post crisis
- Plan and facilitate group information sessions
- Liaise with community partners to support clients’ recovery and reintegration into society
- Form positive relationships with social services and mental health agencies to build an effective delivery of crisis service in the community
- Facilitate a women's support group bi-weekly
- Maintain accurate and appropriate record-keeping/documentation of client files
- Degree in health services, social services, counselling, psychology or related subjects.
- Experience facilitating support groups
- One year working experience with crisis intervention and newcomer mental health
- At least one year working experience with newcomers, refugees and youths
- Knowledge of mental health issues, group process and facilitation techniques.
- Proven ability in crisis assessment and facilitating resolution of clients with efficient information-gathering and problem solving skills
- Diplomatic, courteous, empathetic, professional and able to work well in stressful situations and maintain professional demeanor.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, database and Internet. iCARE database experience an asset.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Fluency in English. Second language is an asset
- A criminal reference check is required
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter quoting reference number 018-033 by Dec 14, 2018 to:
Human Resources Officer
Dixie Bloor Neighbourhood Centre
3650 Dixie Rd. Suite 103, Mississauga, ON L4Y 3V9
We thank all applicants but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Dixie Bloor Neighbourhood Centre is an equal opportunity employer