Young Leaders Overseas
Cuso International is calling on Canadian Youth between the ages of 19 to 30 who have demonstrated leadership in their communities or in an academic or professional setting and are looking for challenging international work experience with one of Cuso International’s local partners in Cameroon, Nicaragua or Honduras for 6-12 months to contribute to positive impact with a youth focus.
The Young Leadership Overseas Program aims to provide Canadian youth with the international experience they need to build their careers and succeed in today’s world. Be a part of the youth movement with Cuso International and work with international colleagues to contribute towards creating sustainable change in Cameroon, Honduras or Nicaragua.
As a volunteer Young Leader, you may:
Support one of Cuso International’s local partner organizations: Ministry of Youths and Civics (Cameroon), Asociación de Desarrollo Pespirense (Honduras), Centro de Decheros Humanos (Honduras), Centro Cultural Batahola Norte (Nicaragua), TECHO (Nicaragua) or others with the one or more of the following depending on the partner’s specific needs:
- Youth to youth engagement and mentorship
- Youth program coordination support
- Facilitating and supporting partner workshops
- Conference coordination
- Conducting field research
- Community awareness raising
- Administrative support
- Communications/social media
- Support to promote/expand the reach of your partner organization
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- Canadian youth must be between the ages of 19 to 30
- Post-secondary graduates with a degree or diploma program in a university, college, post-secondary school of technology, institute, or CEGEP.
Essential Professional Background:
- Demonstrated leadership skills and experience in a community, academic or professional context.
Location Cameroon, Honduras, Nicaragua, and others
Start Date Feb– Mar 2018 (flexible)
Length of Placement 6-12 Months
Language Requirements English/Spanish/French
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
Only Canadian applicants between the ages of 19 to 30 with demonstrated leadership skills will be considered.
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months.