Mobile App Development Advisor (Spanish)
City Mangua, Nicaragua
Start Date Mar - May 2018 (flexible)
Length of Placement 12 Months
Language Requirements Spanish
Please submit a Spanish Resume and Statement of Interest
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer's Role
The organization Padre Fabretto believes that education empowers children and youth, future leaders of Nicaragua and is a way to break the poverty circle. They work using a holistic approach to education that involve the whole community. Padre Fabretto has seven education centres that supports over 50 schools in partnership with the Ministry of Education, public and private, in the most vulnerable rural and urban communities across the country.
Improvement of early reading and mathematical skills have been a priority for education in Nicaragua through the improvement of Basic Standards in both subjects. In order to monitor the acquisition of the skills in early education, we are looking for a volunteer that can support the development of a mobile application. The app will be used by teachers and school staff to collect data around the evaluations.
We are looking for a Mobile App Development Advisor to come and support this process. If you have knowledge and experience in the development of offline Android and are interested using your creativity and sense of innovation in supporting the implementation of educational tools, this position is for you!
As a volunteer, you will:
- Develop an application for mobile devises to monitor language and mathematical learning in the North region of the country.
- Develop application tools, manual and guide to support the use of the mobile application.
- Train Fabretto community centre staff to improve their skills and knowledge.
- Offer support in the use of the new application and the development of future projects.
- Manage similar projects proposals to ensure use of open softwares and offline accessibility for communities.
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- Studies in Computer Engineering, Software Development, Programming or other relevant combination of experience and studies.
Essential Professional Background:
- Three years of experience in mobile application development.
- Experience with Jquery, Jquery Mobile, PhoneGap, Eclipse or other library or framework.
- Knowledge of PHP, HTML 5, CSS 3, JSON.
- Great analytical skills.
- Experience in knowledge sharing contexts
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation