Imagine creating a place where tomorrow's leaders, big thinkers, and dreamers gather. Join us and know that you make it possible for others to learn, grow, and discover. Because of what we do, students and faculty share so much more than a meal. And that's why this is so much more than a job.
Why work with Chartwells? We are a member of Compass Group Canada, the leading foodservice and support services company. We cater to Generation Z on college campuses and upcoming K-12 generations. We offer dining programs and solutions that fit the unique needs of today's students. Join our commitment to providing responsible, healthy-eating solutions.
Now, if you were to come on board as one of our Sous Chefs, we'd ask you to do the following for us:
- Assist the Culinary Director in the unit, taking over the Culinary Directors' duties in his/her absence.
- Assist the Culinary Director with inventories, pricing, cost controls, requisitioning, and issuing supplies and equipment for food production.
- Prepare and supervise the culinary team in preparation of a wide variety of foods in addition to sharing food knowledge with the team.
- Be directly involved in menu planning and development, operation planning, expenditures, budgeting, costing and maintaining proper inventory levels.
- Ensure proper staffing for maximum productivity and high standards of quality; controls food and payroll costs to achieve maximum profitability.
- Ensure good client relationships are maintained and that the client is satisfied with the service and menu options provided.
- Ensure strict compliance with Compass' Quality Assurance and Health and Safety Program, Occupational Health and Safety Act and WHMIS regulations.
- Coordinate frequent workplace inspections and WHMIS training of all staff and promptly report any workplace accident or incident to head office.
- Make recommendations for maintenance, repair and upkeep of the kitchen, its equipment and other areas as appropriate.
Think you have what it takes to be our Sous Chef? We're committed to hiring the best talent for the role. Here's how we'll know you'll be successful in the role.
- Four years of related culinary supervisory experience in a fast-paced production-oriented environment.
- Strong background in banquet and catering functions with high-volume production.
- Comprehensive knowledge of food and catering trends with a focus on quality, production, sanitation, food cost controls and presentation.
- Basic supervisory skills, capable of motivating, leading and developing associates.
- Hard-working team player with ability to prioritize effectively.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal).
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word and Excel).
- Able to work flexible hours to accommodate business needs, may require evening and weekend availability.
- French Only
- Culinary training
- Food preparation