Food Operations Supervisor
Imagine creating a place where tomorrow's leaders, big thinkers, and dreamers gather. Join us and know that you make it possible for others to learn, grow, and discover. Because of what we do, students and faculty share so much more than a meal. And that's why this is so much more than a job.
Why work with Chartwells? We are a member of Compass Group Canada, the leading foodservice and support services company. We cater to Generation Z on college campuses and upcoming K-12 generations. We offer dining programs and solutions that fit the unique needs of today's students. Join our commitment to providing responsible, healthy-eating solutions.
As a Food Operations Supervisor, you will be responsible for providing overall planning, direction and control to assigned food service units. You will achieve operational and financial goals, provide guidance and motivation to subordinate unit managers, as well as ensure effective customer/client rapport is maintained.
Now, if you were to come on board as one of our Food Operations Supervisor, we'd ask you to do the following for us:Conduct operation audits of regional units and design improvements to optimize financial performance and operational productivity.
- Audit units to ensure conformance with the Company, government and accrediting agency standards, regulations and codes regarding food storage, preparation, sanitation, and record keeping.
- Ensure adherence to company sponsored retailing and purchasing programs.
- Observe typical meal service when visiting units; evaluate food for taste, temperature, appearance, and portion size; investigate complaints regarding unit operation and effect satisfaction solutions.
- Develop realistic and accurate district forecasts; monitor development of realistic and accurate unit forecasts; ensure that each unit's financial performance meets the Company and client forecasts.
- Ensure consistent and equitable administration of human resources policies, procedures, and guidelines to facilitate effective employee relations and support the preferred employer focus; audit performance appraisals and associates files; monitor Diversity action plans.
- Recruit for management positions; identify district training requirements; develop and coach management associates to meet staffing and succession planning needs, as well as to ensure optimum utilization of district associates.
- Plan and conduct district meetings, making full use of support staff as needed.
- Will occasionally need to replace Chef Managers/Supervisors when they are absent, train in culinary, food safety and QA.
- Help Supervisors and Chef Managers during large catering events.
This position will require working eight to nine hours per day, five days per week during the school year. You will have time off at Christmas, March Break, school holidays and over the summer. During these breaks, you will not be paid but would be expected to take your accrued paid vacation. For those interested in working during the longer break periods there are often temporary assignments available with other sectors.
Think you have what it takes to be our next Food Operations Supervisor? We're committed to hiring the best talent for the role. Here's how we'll know you'll be successful in the role.
- Post-secondary education plus at least five years of related food service management experience in a business/corporate dining setting and retail environment; bilingual in French and English is an asset.
- Food safe certified.
- Proven financial management skills including ability to control product and labour costs.
- Strong motivator, mentor and leader.
- Very detail-oriented individual and a strong team player.
- Superior client relationship skills.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal).
- Can accommodate a flexible work schedule.
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft Office.