Executive Chef of Culinary Innovation
In this role, you will have the opportunity to see the food and beverage operation for a trendy and hip small group of foodies. This is the opportunity of a lifetime to both manage front and back of house operations from all aspects. Imagine joining a team that's at the top of their game. Come to work at Restaurant Associates and learn from the pro's. Because of what we do, more than 30,000 guests company-wide enjoy an unforgettable experience every day. Learn. Grow. Serve. It's a winning combination.
This candidate would be savvy with current food trends, has the passion for working hands-on, as well as managing the overall menu development, international food stations, people resources, cost controls, QA, H&S; and catering operations. Not only that, you will get to have input on the use of local vendors, sourcing sustainable products, cool and on-trend snacking options. Our clients and guests DON'T demand the fanciest offering, they ASK for the coolest, healthiest, tastiest things you can find and create. Replace those potato chips with salted crispy edamame, those sugary granola bars with local made quinoa-bulgar bites, and that can of pop with Okanagan Stone-fruit house made spa water!
Now, if you were to come on board as one of our Executive Chef, we'd ask you to do the following for us:
First...the fun stuff
- The ability to ideate on trend menu items looking at whats happening in the industry, what's happening in the area, and what people are looking for.
- The ability to have working relationship with local vendors and suppliers, and developing relationships that benefit the food!
- Have a want to progress your knowledge in "wellness" cooking, including Menus of Change, flexitarianism, vegans and vegetarians, etc. Although this is not a vegan or vegetarian location, the ability to grow your menus with this in your back pocket is an asset.
- Work with the Regional Chefs from both Canada and U.S to input recipes and menu changes that affect a national team.
Second...the necessary stuff
- Manage all phases of food preparation, menu planning and development, operational planning and expenditures, budgeting, costing and maintaining proper inventory levels (FIFO).
- Promote sustainable operations and initiatives, front and back of house.
- Be accountable for staffing, scheduling and performing general administrative duties.
- Provide visible leadership, and ongoing mentoring and coaching of back of house staff.
- Participate in marketing and/or media promotions.
- Work in partnership with our client and the Food Service Director to ensure relationships are maintained and that the client is satisfied with the service and menu options provided.
- Ensure strict compliance with Compass' Quality Assurance and Health and Safety Program, Occupational Health and Safety Act and WHMIS regulations.
- Coordinate frequent workplace inspections and WHMIS training of all staff and promptly report any workplace accident or incident to head office.
Think you have what it takes to be our Unit Leader? We're committed to hiring the best talent for the role. Here's how we'll know you'll be successful in the role.
- Three years of managerial Chef experience (Exec Chef, Sous Chef, etc); plus, Red Seal designation or equivalent experience.
- Experience working in a high-volume, multi-unit environment facility (restaurants, concessions).
- Media and marketing experience.
- Creative ability to apply trendy food items and presentations to operations.
- Previous experience in a variety of culinary styles (from casual to fine dining).
- Passion for people and great client relationship skills.
- Great time management, organizational and administrative skills.
- Able to effectively juggle multiple projects/tasks from client, corporate, staff, etc.
- Strong business acumen and financial management experience, including ability to control costs (food and labour).
- Strong motivator, mentor and leader.
- Detail-oriented and a strong team player.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal).
- Knowledgeable of MS Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Flexible availability to work weekdays (days or afternoon shifts) and some weekends.
- English Only