Coast Mental Health (Coast) is one of the largest mental health non-profit societies in Canada, and operates a large array of innovative housing and community based rehabilitation services for people with a mental illness living in and around Vancouver. Coast operates in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia providing approximately 1000 people with supportive housing and 4000 clients living in the community with a wide variety of programs and services.
Coast fosters a client-driven, recovery-oriented environment that promotes restoring health, personal growth and a return to society for individuals with a mental illness through advocacy and providing direct programs and services.
Under the direction of the Controller, the Assistant Controller manages the accounting, and reporting functions within the Finance department. This position is also responsible for unionized staff members and managing performance according to the collective agreement.
Typical functions and responsibilities
- Performs accounting and procedural duties such as maintaining project, capital, replacement reserve, insurance, purchasing and other reports, updating manuals, and preparing written and analytical reports, charts, tables, letters, presentation materials and using current computer applications.
- Assists with the preparation of monthly/quarterly & annual financial statements, quarterly MD&A and relevant backup schedules.
- Assists with required internal and external and external audits, such as financial audits related to assets and compliance audits of contracts and grants. Prepares and maintains account reconciliations and financial analytical papers.
- Assists with the budget process to ensure expenditures are in accordance with funded contracts and the development of annual operating and project budgets.
- Prepares tax supporting schedules and reconciliation for the Foundation, Society and Social Enterprise.
- Provides support to the trust accounting process on an on-going basis, monthly/quarterly reconciliations and financial reporting.
- Responsible for general ledger account reconciliations.
- In consultation with the Controller, develops work procedures, and ensures that department standards are maintained, transactions are accurate and deadlines met. Provides input on policies and operational requirements to the Controller.
- Develops, evaluates, and oversees financial control and reporting systems related to budgets, grants, resource allocation, and contracts with external agencies and service providers. Performs needs assessments, and develops and implements systems, such as contract monitoring to ensure compliance with terms and conditions, budget monitoring to ensure that commitments are supported by available funds, and fixed asset management systems.
- Manages grants and/or contracts (e.g. funded agencies, residential facilities) by reviewing for accuracy, ensuring payments are consistent with contract terms, tracking and reviewing the financial status of contacts to termination date, flagging cases of over- and under-funding, recommending reallocation of funds to meet financial commitments.
- Assists in payroll functions such as reconciling payroll deductions, balancing billing hours to payroll hours paid, verifying payroll information and submitting HSCIS reports. Investigates and resolves discrepancies and follows up on problems.
- Performs cash management duties such as receiving, recording, and balancing cash transactions, preparing, reconciling bank statements, and maintaining and balancing accounts including client trust.
- Provides support and backup for Financial/Contract Administrator, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable and other accounting functions.
- Assists with the accounting for the Social Enterprise.
Human Resource Planning and Management
- Establishes a positive, healthy and safe work environment in accordance with appropriate legislation and/or legislation
- Determines staffing requirements
- Interviews, selects, hires, orients and trains employees, volunteers and/or students
- Supervises staff, volunteers and/or students and monitors workloads on an on-going basis
- Schedules staff to ensure safe and appropriate coverage including vacation and overtime authorization
- Monitors the performance of staff, volunteers and/or students on an ongoing basis. Completes probationary and regular annual performance reviews with employees
- Discusses performance concerns and develops employee action plans when required
- Provides on-going support, coaching/mentoring, recognition and direction to Departmental staff to enable them to achieve a high standard of practice
- Ensures that on-going professional development and training is provided for employees
- Interprets and ensures compliance with the Collective Agreement. Participates in the grievance process as a management team representative. Initiates progressive discipline up to and including suspension and termination of employment. Ensures appropriate documentation is prepared.
- Maintains human resource files and records (electronic and paper) for staff, volunteers and/or students
- Completes or ensures payroll and scheduling are completed in a timely manner
- Participates in the development and administration of policies, procedures and guidelines
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education, Training and Experience
- University degree in Accounting/Business
- CPA designation in good standing in BC or in the last stages of the CPA program
- Minimum 5 years experience in accounting
- Or other qualifications determined to be reasonable and relevant to the level of work
- Previous Management experience working in a unionized environment preferred
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Computer Skills: Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and Outlook
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
- Ability to work independently and in co-operation with others
- Business writing skills
- Ability to research, analyze and resolve problems
- Senior level accounting analysis skills with respect to financial reports, project reports and budgets
- Ability to develop, evaluate and monitor administrative systems and procedures
- Working knowledge of SAGE 300 (preferred)
Please apply here: https://coastmentalhealth.mua.hrdepartment.com/hr/ats/Posting/share/635