Volunteer Coordinator - Granville Island
Granville Island is administered by CMHC on behalf of the Federal Government. The mission of CMHC with respect to Granville Island, is to maintain and foster Granville Island as a unique urban oasis in the heart of Vancouver, a place where visitors of all ages and income can meet, browse, explore and experience a variety of cultural, recreational, educational, commercial retail, arts and industrial activities on a year round basis.
The Island's special ambiance has been created through a joint public, private and non-profit enterprise respectful of its heritage, committed to its excellence and mindful of its purpose. The Island is an urban park serving about 10.0 million people each year providing a sound business environment for 275 businesses and bringing jobs for 2,800 people on a 17 hectare site comprising both land and water.
Bring your communication skills and your organizational expertise to Granville Island, Vancouver.
This 24-month full-time temporary position is an exceptional opportunity to become a member of the Granville Island team, where you will develop and implement goals and objectives for the volunteer program which reflect the mission of the organization. In this role, you will also develop a budget for the volunteer program activities and identify volunteer assignments that provide meaningful work for volunteers.
How You Will Be Contributing
- Assess the need for volunteers to enhance program/service delivery
- Conduct ongoing evaluation of the programs and services delivered by volunteers and implement improvements as necessary
- Develop, administer, and review policies and procedures which guide the volunteer programs and services
- Develop and implement an intake and interview protocol for potential volunteers to ensure the best match between the skills, qualification, and interests of the volunteers and the needs of the organization
- Implement a screening process for potential volunteers according to accepted screening standards and practices
- Train staff to work effectively and cooperatively with volunteers
- Orient volunteers to increase their understanding of the organization, its clients, its services and the role and responsibilities of volunteers
- Ensure that volunteers receive the appropriate level of supervision
- Assist with conflict resolution among clients, staff and volunteers according to established procedures
- Plan and implement formal and informal volunteer recognition activities to recognize the contribution of volunteers to the organization
- Administer and monitor expenditures for the volunteer program against the approved budget
What We Are Looking For
- A commitment to demonstrating CMHC values.
- Post-secondary education in Business Administration, Fine Arts, or Human Resources.
- Two to three years' experience in volunteer management, human resources, and/or event management.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, teamwork and organizational skills (bilingualism an asset)
- Ability to independently plan and manage one's time in order to meet strict deadlines
- Ability to initiate and follow through on assignments with attention to detail
- Ability to analyze, organize, and present information
- Ability to motivate and enjoy working with people, friendly and outgoing
- Ability to be a team player
- Proficient with Social Media
- Proficient in Word, Excel (website-related skills an asset)
- Fluency in English essential; other languages are an asset.
Client Focus/ Innovation/ Valuing and Respecting Individuals
Communication/ Flexibility/ Teamwork/ Efficiency/ Leadership
What CMHC Has To Offer
- Competitive Total Compensation package
- Competitive Annual Salary
- Eligibility for Performance Bonuses
- In-house learning and development opportunities
- Career Growth Opportunities
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- New Hire Mentorship Program
This job posting will be active until 11:59 pm EST on March 31, 2018, however, the competition may remain active until a successful candidate has been chosen.
- We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, please note that only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted. If selected for an interview, please advise us if you require an accommodation.
- Selected candidates may be required to do a presentation or assessment as part of the interview. If so, they will be advised in advance. In the event that tests are administered, candidates will also be advised in advance.
- Candidates must be eligible for Reliability Clearance