Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) helps Canadians meet their housing needs. As Canada's authority on housing, we contribute to the stability of the housing market and financial system, provide support for Canadians in housing need, and offer objective housing research and advice to Canadian governments, consumers and the housing industry. Prudent risk management, strong corporate governance and transparency are cornerstones of our operations. Our work matters to a great many people and our employees matter to us.
The intent of this advertisement is to identify and assess qualified candidates to staff both current and future permanent and contract positions in various divisions. We are currently accepting applications within various departments of CMHC at our National Office located in Ottawa or Montreal. Applicants who meet the requirements of the position will be asked to write an exam. A pool of translators will then be built accordingly.
Bring your analytical and communication skills and your translation expertise to this Translator role in Ottawa or in Montreal.
As a member of the Linguistic Services team, you will provide a full range of language services to all CMHC sectors.
How You Will Be Contributing
- Translate, in compliance with established quantitative and qualitative standards, a wide array of moderately to highly complex documents, particularly in the financial, economic or technical field.
- Revise or perform quality control on texts translated by in-house translators or freelancers.
- Proofread documents produced by CMHC.
- Contribute to the central terminology database.
- Provide linguistic support services, such as providing information and guidance to various internal departments on the use of the English or French language in day-to-day work situations.
- Share expertise and knowledge and respond to requests for information or assistance from a variety of internal sources.
- Seek opportunities and participate in departmental or corporate projects or initiatives outside of immediate functional responsibilities.
What We Are Looking For
- A commitment to demonstrating CMHC values.
- University degree in translation as well as a minimum of four years of experience as a translator in a well-structured professional environment or an equivalent combination of education and experience acquired in related positions.
- Knowledge of translation, copy-editing and writing techniques, including adaptation, terminology research and proofreading.
- Specialized knowledge in financial, economic or technical translation, a definite asset.
- In-depth knowledge of grammar, syntax, usage and style.
- Experience using print and electronic reference works and tools, translation-assistance software, and online document-search engines.
- Computer skills, including practical knowledge of operating systems such as Windows and software for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, databases, e-mail and Internet use.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize in order to understand texts of all kinds.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines.
- Adaptability, autonomy, versatility, initiative, creativity and attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work on several projects simultaneously.
- Knowledge of the operations of a Crown corporation, an asset.
- Knowledge of the services provided by CMHC's business functions, including their service providers and clients, an asset.
This job posting may remain active until successful candidates have been chosen.
- Your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements as CMHC cannot make assumptions about your education and experience.
- Selected candidates may be required to do a presentation or assessment as part of the interview. If so, they will be advised in advance. In the event that tests are administered, candidates will also be advised in advance.
- We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, please note that only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted.
- If selected for an interview or testing, please advise us if you require an accommodation.
- Candidates who do not meet all of the position requirements may be considered in an under-fill capacity, in which case the person will be hired at a lower level than the position level.
- All applications submitted to this competition will be kept for a six (6) month period and may be considered for future related vacancies at CMHC.
- Candidates must be eligible for Reliability Clearance.
- Second Language Proficiency levels are defined as follows:
- A = Beginner Level
- B = Intermediate Level
- C = Advanced Level
- E = Exempt
- P = Specific Language Skills
CMHC is an employer that values diversity and encourages the learning and use of both Canada's official languages. CMHC is committed to employment equity and actively encourages application from women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities