CMHC: Because What I Do Matters
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) helps Canadians meet their housing needs. As Canada's authority on housing, we contribute to the stability of the housing market and financial system, provide support for Canadians in housing need, and offer unbiased housing research and advice to Canadian governments, consumers and the housing industry. Prudent risk management, strong corporate governance and transparency are cornerstones of our operations.
Bring your technical skills and your building consulting expertise to this Technical Advisor position in Halifax.
As a member of the Professional Services team, you will provide expert technical advice, information and training in support of a wide range of internal clients throughout the Atlantic Provinces. You will develop and maintain an effective professional relationship with the building industry in order to maintain an awareness of market/industry trends and provides visibility and awareness of CMHC business lines. This will involve using your extensive knowledge and judgment to provide expert advice on complex technical assignments.
This full-time position is an exceptional opportunity for an analytical thinker with strong relationship building skills to achieve his/her professional goals, while creating a sustainable organization that is at the heart of a world leading housing system. Our diverse opportunities and locations across the country enable you to advance and grow your skills, knowledge and career to match your evolving interests and experience.
How You Will Be Contributing
- Performing on-site technical reviews and preparing inspection narrative reports in support of Multiple Underwriting, First Nation Housing, Default Management, Real Estate and Social Housing as required.
- Providing expert and unbiased technical advice in support of CMHC's mortgage insurance products and social housing program delivery.
- Working closely with the immediate team, the manager and other regions to ensure the continued delivery of technical services, with emphasis on efficiency, effectiveness and quality, CMHC and their partners' needs.
- Evaluating, identifying and implementing innovations that can lead to continuous improvement of technical services.
- Helping measure the degree of satisfaction of internal and external clients to ensure that their needs and objectives are met.
- Reviewing, evaluating and commenting on inspections or third-party reports for CMHC and their clients.
- Providing direction on the requirements for acquiring external technical services and consultants, as well as monitoring and measuring the quality of work of external contracts.
- Conducting monitoring inspections to ensure that the contractual obligations of third party service providers contracted by CMHC are met and that the quality of the work meets CMHC's expectations.
- Providing training and coaching to external service providers to address identified gaps.
- Supporting and actively participating in establishing and achieving service goals and objectives.
What We Are Looking For
- A commitment to demonstrating CMHC values
- College diploma in engineering technology, building sciences, or architecture technology, and a minimum of three (3) to five(5) years of relevant experience in building technology OR an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience;
- Demonstrated experience in building technology;
- Demonstrated experience working with the National Building Code, and provincial/municipal regulations;
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office suite.
- Comprehensive knowledge of building construction and building envelope technical theory and practice.
- Knowledge and skills in the general practice of inspections for both new and existing residential buildings including the ability to identify related problems, recommending appropriate repairs and cost estimates.
- Ability to meaningfully share expertise and advice that is relevant to the clients' needs.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively (both oral and written) with a variety of audiences.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills enabling the balance of workloads and the prioritization of requests to meet deadlines.
- Ability to achieve results, deliver quality work and adapt to changing priorities.
- Demonstrated research, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to understand and interpret the National Housing Act and Regulations, provincial legislation and municipal bylaws that have an influence on property standards and knowledge of building components and technical aspects of various types of real estate throughout the region.
- A good English level both in writing and speaking will be considered an asset.
The following area of license, designation or certificate will be considered as an asset
- Certificate in Building Science
- Membership in a nationally or provincially recognized property inspectors association would be considered an asset. These include the Canadian Association of Real Property Inspectors (ACIBI), the National Association of Home Inspectors (NAHI), an association of building agents, or any other recognized organization.
- Capacity to travel to remote areas and aboard small aircrafts.
- A degree of physical agility for on-site technical reviews which may require stretching, walking, kneeling, bending and climbing ladders.
- Ability to manage flexible work hours, including some evenings and weekends.
- A valid driver's licence and access to a reliable vehicle, as this position requires some travel, including site visits.
Client Focus/ Innovation/ Valuing and Respecting Individuals
Analytical Thinking/ Efficiency/ Flexibility/ Open-Mindedness/ Communication/ Teamwork
What CMHC Has To Offer
- Competitive Total Compensation package
- Competitive Annual Salary
- Eligibility for Performance Bonuses
- In-house learning and development opportunities
- Career Growth Opportunities
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- New Hire Mentorship Program
- Various onsite amenities
This job posting will be active until 11:59 pm EST on December 22, 2017, however, the competition may remain active until a successful candidate has been chosen.
- We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, please note that only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted. If selected for an interview, please advise us if you require an accommodation.
- Selected candidates may be required to do a presentation or assessment as part of the interview. If so, they will be advised in advance. In the event that tests are administered, candidates will also be advised in advance.
- Candidates must be eligible for Reliability Clearance.