Summer Student, Financial Risk Oversight
Interested in gaining valuable work experience and starting your rewarding career?
Join Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC), an organization where you are valued and respected, recognized for your contributions and that is committed to providing a work environment where you are inspired to make a difference.
We are currently hiring for a full-time summer student, for a 4-month contract, within the Financial Risk Oversight Division. As a valued student member of our Financial Risk Oversight team, you will be reporting to the Senior Manager of the team and providing assistance to a group of 6 staff members in overseeing the assessment of credit, investment, market, regulatory and issuer-specific credit issues and risks, as well as providing advice on emerging credit risks related to CMHC’s business activities.
How You Will Be Contributing
- Reviewing and recommending proposed credit risk limits to team members and CMHC’s business lines.
- Ensuring that appropriate credit risk analysis, limits and monitoring are conducted as per CMHC’s policies and best practices.
- Completing various monthly and quarterly risk management reports.
- Analyzing and explaining financial impacts related to credit risk exposures to CMHC’s business lines as required.
- Supporting the development and implementation of new credit rating methodologies, risk metrics and evolution of financial risk across CMHC.
- Monitoring external rating agencies’ methodologies to determine if updates are necessary.
- Monitoring performance of internal rating methodologies.
- Analyzing the Funding, Market, Credit, Liquidity and Actuarial components of the pension fund to ensure these risks are understood and communicated to senior management.
What We Are Looking For
- A commitment to demonstrating CMHC’s values.
- 4th year or 3rd year student in a bachelor degree program, preferably in finance, accounting, economics, business administration, computer science or in a related field.
- Work experience in finance, risk management, or accounting.
- Demonstrated experience and skills in using MS Office, financial modelling (such as Excel, SQL, R, VBA) and market information system tools (such as Bloomberg).
- Basic knowledge and understanding of CMHC’s mandate and business activities.
- Familiarity with current financial regulatory environments and mechanisms.
- Knowledge of financial institutions, capital markets instruments, credit risk management techniques and valuation techniques.
- Strong analytical skills - ability to reason logically, recognize assumptions and recognize the possible impact of specific courses of action.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to prepare or write analysis/financial assessment reports.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage several ongoing and competing projects / demands.
- Ability to interact with various levels of management in a multi-tasking, deadline oriented and team environment.
- High level of interpersonal skills (tact, diplomacy, professionalism).
- University graduate within the last year in the fields noted above.
- Experience in conducting corporate credit risk analysis in a capital markets and/or financial risk management environment.
- Currently pursuing a professional designation attesting specialty in the areas of accounting, finance, or risk management(e.g. CFA, FRM and Accounting).
- Bilingualism (English and French).
The Corporation's core competencies
Client focus/ Innovation/ Valuing and Respecting Individuals
What CMHC Has To Offer
- Competitive salary
- In-house learning and development opportunities
- Career Growth Opportunities
- New Hire Mentorship Program
- Various onsite amenities
This job posting will be active until 11:59 pm EST (Eastern Standard Time)on March 6, 2018, however, the competition may remain active until a successful candidate has been chosen.
- To be eligible, you must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
- Candidates must meet the government’s required security requirements (Reliability Clearance).
- The anticipated start and end date of these contracts are from May to August 2018.
- We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, please note that only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted. If selected for an interview, please advise us if you require an accommodation.
- Selected candidates may be required to do a presentation or assessment as part of the interview. If so, they will be advised in advance. In the event that tests are administered, candidates will also be advised in advance.
- Relocation assistance will not be offered for these student positions.
- As part of our commitment to create an inclusive workforce which reflects our society, we are recruiting people from all backgrounds, including persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities and Aboriginal peoples.
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) has earned a number of awards recognizing the excellence of our management practices, our contributions to government and industry and our corporate citizenship. Here is a selection of our most recent achievements:
- one of Canada's Best Diversity Employer 2017
- one of the National Capital Region's Top 25 Employers since 2009
As Canada’s trusted source of comprehensive housing information, expertise, housing finance and affordable housing solutions, CMHC has been Canada’s national housing agency since 1946. CMHC’s mission is to promote housing quality, affordability and choice for all Canadians. Our mandate involves the entire scope of housing – from promoting and contributing to the stability of the financial system to providing direct housing assistance.
As a federal Crown corporation and a major financial institution, CMHC offers a range of career possibilities in a stimulating work environment where people are inspired and encouraged to make a difference. If you want to work alongside other dedicated and respected professionals to make a real difference, make CMHC your career choice.
A chance to make a difference. The opportunity to achieve your goals.