Summer Student, Credit Operations Support
Interested in gaining valuable work experience and starting your rewarding career?
Join Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC), an organization where you are valued and respected, recognized for your contributions and that is committed to providing a work environment where you are inspired to make a difference.
We are currently hiring for two full-time summer students, for a 4-month contract, within the Capital Markets Division. As a valued student member of our Credit team, you will be reporting to an assigned credit team member and providing assistance to a group of 12 staff members in basic financial/credit analysis of rated and non-rated companies and other counterparties related to the Corporation’s insurance, securitization, outsourcing, investment and hedging activities.
How You Will Be Contributing
- Assisting team members in the completion of daily and monthly credit risk reports.
- Verifying the correctness of credit risk exposures and accuracy of reporting.
- Analyzing and monitoring credit exposures against derived limits, and advising appropriate staff and management on limit exceptions.
- Researching, monitoring and reporting on the capital markets and Approved CMHC Counterparty developments in relation to compliance with the Credit Risk Management Policies, and recommend actions on concerns as appropriate.
- Monitoring for gaps and ensuring that appropriate systems are in place for effective and efficient credit risk analysis, monitoring and reporting.
General assistance to group in day to day activities - this could include conducting research, drafting documents, photocopies, etc.
What We Are Looking For
- A commitment to demonstrating CMHC values.
- Recent graduate, 4th year or 3rd year student in a bachelor degree program, preferably in finance, accounting, economics or any related field.
- Demonstrated work experience in finance or in accounting.
- Basic knowledge and understanding of CMHC’s mandate and business activities.
- Familiarity with current Accounting standards and financial regulatory environments and mechanisms.
- Basic knowledge of credit risk management techniques and valuation techniques.
- Strong analytical skills - ability to reason logically, recognize assumptions and recognize the possible impact of specific courses of action.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to prepare or write analysis/financial reports.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage several ongoing and competing projects / demands.
- Ability to interact with various levels of management in a multi-tasking, deadline oriented and team environment.
- Proficiency in using MS Office (e.g. MS Word, MS Excel).
- High level of interpersonal skills (tact, diplomacy, professionalism).
- Bilingualism (English/French) is highly desirable.
- Graduate or current student in a master degree program in the fields noted above.
- Currently pursuing a professional designation attesting specialty in the areas of accounting, finance, or risk management(e.g. CFA, FRM, CPA).
- Demonstrated experience and skills in using financial modelling (such as Excel) and market information system tools (such as Bloomberg).
The Corporation's core competencies
Client focus/ Innovation/ Valuing and Respecting Individuals
What CMHC Has To Offer
- Competitive salary
- In-house learning and development opportunities
- Career Growth Opportunities
- New Hire Mentorship Program
- Various onsite amenities
This job posting will be active until 11:59 pm EST (Eastern Standard Time)on February 14, 2018, however, the competition may remain active until a successful candidate has been chosen.
- To be eligible, you must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
- Candidates must meet the government’s required security requirements (Reliability Clearance).
- The anticipated start and end date of these contracts are from May to August 2018.
- We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, please note that only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted. If selected for an interview, please advise us if you require an accommodation.
- Selected candidates may be required to do a presentation or assessment as part of the interview. If so, they will be advised in advance. In the event that tests are administered, candidates will also be advised in advance.
- Relocation assistance will not be offered for these student positions.
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) has earned a number of awards recognizing the excellence of our management practices, our contributions to government and industry and our corporate citizenship. Here is a selection of our most recent achievements:
- one of Canada's Best Diversity Employer 2016
- one of the National Capital Region's Top 25 Employers since 2009
As Canada’s trusted source of comprehensive housing information, expertise, housing finance and affordable housing solutions, CMHC has been Canada’s national housing agency since 1946. CMHC’s mission is to promote housing quality, affordability and choice for all Canadians. Our mandate involves the entire scope of housing – from promoting and contributing to the stability of the financial system to providing direct housing assistance.
As a federal Crown corporation and a major financial institution, CMHC offers a range of career possibilities in a stimulating work environment where people are inspired and encouraged to make a difference. If you want to work alongside other dedicated and respected professionals to make a real difference, make CMHC your career choice.
A chance to make a difference. The opportunity to achieve your goals.