Specialist Quantitative Analysis
CMHC: Because What I Do Matters
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) helps Canadians meet their housing needs. As Canada's authority on housing, we contribute to the stability of the housing market and financial system, provide support for Canadians in housing need, and offer unbiased housing research and advice to Canadian governments, consumers and the housing industry. Prudent risk management, strong corporate governance and transparency are cornerstones of our operations.
Bring your quantitative analytical and valuation skills as well as your reporting expertise to this Specialist Quantitative Analysis position in Ottawa.
Internal growth and operational needs have created a new full-time permanent opening on the Operations Support team within the Capital Markets sector. As a Specialist, Quantitative Analysis you will ensure that relevant issues are well understood as well as identify and develop innovative approaches and practical solutions designed to improve CMHC and CMHC's Pension Fund's financial operations and performance. You will also play a key role in the development of future strategies and policies by identifying emerging issues, trends and opportunities, researching and analyzing their implications, and developing appropriate recommendations.
You will also be responsible for implementing financial risk management policies and procedures to ensure that CMHC achieves financial sector best practices with regard to managing the organization's financial positions and risks. You may be providing analytical support to other areas, within Capital Markets as necessary.
How You Will Be Contributing
- Leading and/or supporting various project initiatives such as financial information system upgrades and re-design (e.g. Wall Street Suite), audit reviews, policy development, Annual Borrowing Plan analytics, etc.
- Performing timely and accurate monitoring of financial and investment performance and Credit/Market/Liquidity risk for the Insurance, Securitization, Lending Account and Pension Fund Portfolios.
- Developing and implementing new risk and performance measures and methodologies as strategies evolve or determined by OSFI and the Financial Risk Oversight division.
- Reporting, analyzing and explaining financial/investment performance in terms of the underlying market factors and tactical investment decisions.
- Coordinating, developing and delivering core weekly, monthly and quarterly financial positions, risk measurement and performance reporting which are presented to senior management and the Board.
- Explaining financial valuations, financial results and financial variances to various stakeholders, including internal and external auditors.
- Ensuring that the Settlement's function operates within CMHC's ERM policies and Pension Fund's SIP&P;
- Developing, documenting and implementing effective procedures and internal controls designed to protect significant corporate financial assets; develops and implements authorities for existing practices and assists in developing and recommending changes related to new business products/processes in transaction management.
- Point of contact for Financial Reporting, Investment Custodians, Bank Representatives, Risk Management, Legal and the Front Office.
- Identifying, testing, and recommending opportunities to improve processes, with an emphasis on increasing efficiencies and eliminating the risk of human error
What We Are Looking For
- A commitment to demonstrating CMHC values.
- Bachelor's degree with a concentration in
- Financial Engineering, Finance, Computer Science, Mathematics or a related field, and a minimum of three (3) years with increasing responsibility and experience in financial analysis related to the capital markets.
- An equivalent combination of education and work experience may be considered.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in quantitative finance combined with the capability to assist in developing system-oriented solutions (through use of applications / languages such as Excel, MATLAB, Visual Basic, SAS, and object oriented programming languages).
- Demonstrated experience and skills of advanced financial instrument valuation software and market information system tools (such as Bloomberg, PCBond).
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience of Global Investment Performance Standards (GIPS) and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
- Comprehensive and advanced knowledge of conceptual and transactional elements of the capital markets (domestic and international), from simple fixed income instruments to structured securities.
- Comprehensive knowledge of asset-liability management principles, concepts and techniques.
- Comprehensive understanding of derivatives and how they can be used in relation to funding and Interest Rate / FX hedging opportunities.
- Demonstrated reporting skills with the ability to synthesize information from a variety of sources.
- Ability to write and/or edit to convey information that is subject to interpretation.
- Ability to build and manage effective working relationships with peers, and internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong communication and negotiation skills, including the ability to present complex ideas and issues to a variety of audiences, including senior management.
- Awareness of the Corporation's mandate and its regulatory environment, and understanding of the housing, mortgage, and mortgage insurance markets.
- Ability to provide informal coaching to junior staff.
- Post graduate degree(s) in the fields noted above and/or professional designations attesting specialty in the areas of finance, or risk management (e.g. CFA, FRM, PRM, CIPM).
- Bilingualism (English and French).
Client Focus/ Innovation/ Valuing and Respecting Individuals
Analytical Thinking/ Efficiency/ Communication (Presenting and Influencing)/Developing Others/ Focus on Results/Relationship Building/Teamwork
What CMHC Has To Offer
- Competitive Total Compensation package
- Competitive Annual Salary
- Comprehensive flex benefit program
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- Eligibility for Performance Bonuses
- In-house learning and development opportunities
- Career Growth Opportunities
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- New Hire Mentorship Program
- Various onsite amenities
This job posting will be active until 11:59 pm EST on April 29, 2018, however, the competition may remain active until a successful candidate has been chosen.
- We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, please note that only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted. If selected for an interview, please advise us if you require an accommodation.
- Selected candidates may be required to do a presentation or assessment as part of the interview. If so, they will be advised in advance. In the event that tests are administered, candidates will also be advised in advance.
- Candidates must be eligible for Secret Clearance.
- Candidates who do not meet all of the position requirements may be considered in an under-fill capacity, in which case the person will be hired at a lower level than the position level.