Specialist, Multi-Unit Underwriting (Position can be located anywhere in Canada)
Job Requisition ID: 3912
Primary Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Other Location(s): Halifax, Montréal, Toronto, Calgary & Vancouver
Sector: Client Operations
Language Designation: Bilingual
Language Skill Levels (Read/Write/Speak): Bilingual CBC, English Essential ZZZ
Salary Range: $ 74 852,60 to $ 93 565,75
Position Status: Permanent Full Time
Security Requirement: Reliability Status
Travel Requirement: Travel not required
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) helps Canadians meet their housing needs. As Canada’s authority on housing, we contribute to the stability of the housing market and financial system, provide support for Canadians in housing need, and offer objective housing research and advice to Canadian governments, consumers and the housing industry. Prudent risk management, strong corporate governance and transparency are cornerstones of our operations. Our work matters to a great many people and our employees matter to us.
Be proactive and apply today! We are looking to fill current and future positions within the Multi-Unit Underwriting teams located across Canada. There are permanent and temporary roles available and require various language skills.
As Specialist Multi-Unit Underwriting, you will identify, understand and assess the risks associated with each mortgage loan insurance application involving complex multi-unit properties (large constructions, retirement homes, etc.) and provide a recommendation for decision. We are seeking individuals who have knowledge in real estate or banking and training in administration, finance or a related field and who are also recognized for their excellent analytical and risk management abilities as well as their propensity to maintain solid business relationships.
This is an exceptional opportunity for a business relationship builder and team player to achieve his/her professional goals, while creating a sustainable organization that is at the heart of a world-leading housing system. Our diverse opportunities and locations across the country enable you to advance and grow your skills, knowledge and career to match your evolving interests and experience.
How You Will Be Contributing
- Completing a financial analysis of the borrower, assessing market conditions, analyzing the financial and operational performance of the property, and determining adequate security.
- Identifying and negotiating acceptable mitigating actions when weaknesses are identified or normal security is not being offered, while maintaining the risk at an acceptable level for CMHC.
- Preparing an underwriting report providing a review of the findings, the recommendations and the mitigating actions.
- Discussing, negotiating and defending underwriting decisions with each lender client, while making sure to maintain a high level of confidence in CMHC.
- Responding to various mortgage insurance or general inquiries.
- Performing post-approval activities, including responding to lender requests in a timely manner.
- Participating in the work of national teams to contribute to the development of policies and procedures.
What We Are Looking For
- A commitment to demonstrating CMHC values
- Bachelor’s degree in administration, finance or other field related to real estate and three to five years of experience relating directly to mortgage financing risk analysis and underwriting involving complex properties. An equivalent combination of education and relevant experience may also be considered.
- Knowledge of appraisal, building technology, environment, market analysis, financial statement analysis, real estate law, property management and industry trends to be able to assess the degree of risk and make sound underwriting decisions.
- Excellent analytical and decision-making skills.
- Demonstrated communication, interpersonal and listening skills.
- Ability to multi-task in pressure situations.
- Ability to work effectively on a team and independently.
- Ability to build and maintain client relationships, recognize opportunities for improvement and contribute to a working environment where diversity is valued, respected and integrated.
- Proficiency working in a computer-aided environment, using software such as Microsoft applications (including Word and Excel).
- Certified in Real Estate Finance (CRF), Accredited Appraiser Canadian Institute (AACI), Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA), Certified Management Accountant (CMA), Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Ordre des évaluateurs agréés du Québec (OEAQ) member.
- Assessing and Managing Risk/ Forward Thinking/ Meeting Client/Stakeholder Needs/ Thinking Analytically
What CMHC Has To Offer
- Results-Only Work Environment™ (ROWE™)*
- Competitive Total Compensation package
- Competitive Annual Salary
- Comprehensive flex benefit program
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- Eligibility for Performance Bonuses
- In-house learning and development opportunities
- Career Growth Opportunities
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- Various onsite amenities
*ROWE involves a cultural shift away from managing people to managing work. Employees have full autonomy and accountability to choose when and where to work in order to be efficient, effective, and achieve results.
- Your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements as CMHC cannot make assumptions about your education and experience.
- Selected candidates may be required to do a presentation or assessment as part of the interview. If so, they will be advised in advance. In the event that tests are administered, candidates will also be advised in advance.
- We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, please note that only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted.
- If selected for an interview or testing, please advise us if you require an accommodation.
- Candidates who do not meet all of the position requirements may be considered in an under-fill capacity, in which case the person will be hired at a lower salary range than is advertised for this position.
- All applications submitted to this competition will be kept for a six (6) month period and may be considered for future related vacancies at CMHC.
- Candidates must be eligible for Reliability Clearance.
- Second Language Proficiency levels are defined as follows:
- A = Beginner Level
- B = Intermediate Level
- C = Advanced Level
- E = Exempt
- P = Specific Language Skills
CMHC is an employer that values diversity and encourages the learning and use of both Canada's official languages. CMHC is committed to employment equity and actively encourages application from women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities