Senior Economist | Économiste principal
Job Requisition ID: 1281
Primary Location: Ottawa , Ontario
Other Location(s): Halifax, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Calgary, and Vancouver
Sector: Policy and Research
Language Designation: English Essential
Language Skill Levels (Read/Write/Speak): ZZZ
Salary Range: $73746 to $ 92183
Position Status: Permanent Full Time
Security Requirement: Reliability Status
Travel Requirement: Travel not required Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) helps Canadians meet their housing needs. As Canada's authority on housing, we contribute to the stability of the housing market and financial system, provide support for Canadians in housing need, and offer objective housing research and advice to Canadian governments, consumers and the housing industry. Prudent risk management, strong corporate governance and transparency are cornerstones of our operations. Our work matters to a great many people and our employees matter to us.
Bring your analytical abilities, economic knowledge and communication skills to this Senior Economist position which can be located across Canada- Halifax, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Calgary, and Vancouver.
This full-time permanent position is an exceptional opportunity to become a member of the HMI Socio-Economic Analysis team, where you will plan, manage, and contribute to rigorous research to address major housing issues in Canada.
How You Will Be Contributing
- Supporting research on a wide range of household and housing conditions, issues, challenges and solutions in relation to CMHC business areas, ensuring the quality, accuracy, timeliness and reliability of research and products.
- Conducting the development and application of new analysis and ensuring the data needed for analysis is obtained and available for internal clients.
- Developing logical, well-reasoned and cost-effective solutions to problems identified by internal/external clients in the areas of housing needs, market stability, and housing finance.
- Leading the development of models and using statistical and mathematical analyses to test economic relationships. Ensure accurate input into new and existing CMHC econometric model suites
- Defining standards for research methods and practice. Consulting and liaising with internal and external stakeholders to identify data and support needs and to exchange information.
What We Are Looking For
- A graduate degree in economics (Master or Doctoral) with a minimum of 3 years related experience in advanced economic and market analysis, OR an equivalent combination of experience and academic training.
- Demonstrated experience providing analysis and researching socio-economic conditions as related to the housing market.
- Demonstrated experience in analyzing business and economic conditions and interpreting their impact on the housing market and business activities. Expert knowledge of advanced modelling and forecasting methods in time series or panel data.
- Understanding of the linkage between housing finance issues, regulations and public policies, housing markets and real economy.
- Solid understanding of CMHC's business and operations.
- Highly developed methodological, analytical, creative and conceptual skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver technical and non-technical presentations.
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to speak and write clearly and succinctly, and tailor the settings and styles to a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as part of a team to achieve common goals.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects within the prescribed timelines
- Ability to apply organizational know-how and awareness in order to identify issues and make appropriate recommendations affecting the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a variety of computer applications, including SAS, Stata,and SQL. Knowledge of R or Python is an asset.
Thinking Analytically, Communicating Effectively, Meeting Client/Stakeholder Needs, Forward Thinking
What CMHC Has To Offer
- Competitive Total Compensation package
- Competitive Annual Salary
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- Eligibility for Performance Bonuses
- In-house learning and development opportunities
- Career Growth Opportunities
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- New Hire Mentorship Program
- Various onsite amenities
This job posting will be active until 11:59 pm EST on August 17, 2018 , however, the competition may remain active until a successful candidate has been chosen.
- Your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements as CMHC cannot make assumptions about your education and experience.
- Selected candidates may be required to do a presentation or assessment as part of the interview. If so, they will be advised in advance. In the event that tests are administered, candidates will also be advised in advance.
- We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, please note that only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted.
- If selected for an interview or testing, please advise us if you require an accommodation.
- Candidates who do not meet all of the position requirements may be considered in an under-fill capacity, in which case the person will be hired at a lower level than the position level.
- All applications submitted to this competition will be kept for a six (6) month period and may be considered for future related vacancies at CMHC.
- Candidates must be eligible for Reliability Clearance.
- Second Language Proficiency levels are defined as follows:
- A = Beginner Level
- B = Intermediate Level
- C = Advanced Level
- E = Exempt
- P = Specific Language Skills
CMHC is an employer that values diversity and encourages the learning and use of both Canada's official languages. CMHC is committed to employment equity and actively encourages application from women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities